New rebuild

Phnd

New rebuild

Post by Phnd »

Something I'm working on. I'm going to compare my own guide design against the micro-wave guides. The blanks, reels, lures and line are identical. I want to see if casting distance changes.

Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
Rik

Re: New rebuild

Post by Rik »

Phnd wrote:I'm going to compare my own guide design against the micro-wave guides.
Curious minds.......
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

Doug let me cast one of his rods a couple years ago. It was very smooth and felt good but a 1/2oz. hunk of lead flies through the air differently than a 1/2oz. lure. As you said, I've been curious ever since.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
noles

Post by noles »

Phnd wrote:Something I'm working on. I'm going to compare my own guide design against the micro-wave guides. The blanks, reels, lures and line are identical. I want to see if casting distance changes.
I've done that when the guides first came out. IMHO the guides do very little if you compare it to a well designed guide layout. If the only variable on two identical rods are the guides, then the rod with the micro-wave guide will be heavier. I personally wouldn't put them on any of own rods.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I'm building on right now with the Microwave guides. I spoke to Doug at length about them before he died. I'm not sure how they would make the rod heavier, particularly if you are using the nanolite guides. The running guides are essentially the same weight as a micro guide.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
huntinfishin83

Post by huntinfishin83 »

Phnd wrote:Doug let me cast one of his rods a couple years ago. It was very smooth and felt good but a 1/2oz. hunk of lead flies through the air differently than a 1/2oz. lure. As you said, I've been curious ever since.
yeah last year at the tampa boat show the T. Allen both had 2 rods outside one with micro wave guides one without. both cast just the same and felt just the same due to the fact they too had a heavy chunk of lead tied on. not a good or effective way to pitch the guides imo
bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

Very sharp!
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 The Red Rocket
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Sage