First (and probably last) Bamboo

dunfly

First (and probably last) Bamboo

Post by dunfly »

It all started when I won a bamboo blank in and internet contest. I had been wanting to try a bamboo rod, so this was the opportunity. The blank was an Anglers Roost - Hardy Marvel taper 7'6" 4wt. Unlike graphite blanks, the bamboo does not come with ferrulles, so I had to buy two sets since it was a three piece with two tips. Fortunately the sets come with two male parts, but the ferrules alone cost about $70.00

The grip is a Fenwick style grip turned from cork and burl rings. On this rod, I used snake guides with a red agate stripping guide. Wraps were candy apple red with black trim. The finish on the wraps and the rod is spar varnish rather the the typical epoxy wrap finish I use on Graphite rods. Once I got the rod finished and was about to put on the reel seat I found the rod was a little tip heavy. I decided to switch the reel seat around to make it downlocking. This presented a problem with the butt cap, which required a little innovation. An overcoat button, thread wrap and epoxy finish solve the problem.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Re: First (and probably last) Bamboo

Post by BigFlyReel »

That is beautiful! How does it feel on the cast?
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I'll preface this by saying that, having learned to fly fish in saltwater, I prefer fast action, tip flex rods.

The Hardy Marvel taper is a full flex taper. Add to that the fact that bamboo has a slower recovery rate than graphite and you end up with a rod that is the opposite of what I usually cast. It cast very smoothly and loads easily, but it is slooooow. I feel like I can start the backcast and have cup of coffee before it finally loads. Once you start the forward cast, you still have time to eat a donut before the fly hits the water.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

Yep, that's bamboo. :-) I've had the pleasure of fishing a bunch of it in trout water in the Northeast. Interested to know what line you put on it.
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

A thing of beauty.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

I think the most valuable part of my bamboo 8wt are the ferrules... Nice looking rod.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch