Help with guide sizing

rolle2259

Help with guide sizing

Post by rolle2259 »

I am building an inshore spinning rod for reds & trout. The reel spool has an outside diameter of 43mm. Should the first guide closest to the reel be 20 mm ? Also are the size of the guides measured by the inside diameter of the ring? Thanks to all that reply.
Get r done
noles

Re: Help with guide sizing

Post by noles »

rolle2259 wrote:I am building an inshore spinning rod for reds & trout. The reel spool has an outside diameter of 43mm. Should the first guide closest to the reel be 20 mm ? Also are the size of the guides measured by the inside diameter of the ring? Thanks to all that reply.
a 20 mm guide should be just fine, i'm going to guess the reel is a 2000-2500 series. the size of the guides are usually based on the ceramic inserts. here's a chart to go by: http://www.shofftackle.com/pdf/FujiSizeChart.pdf
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
TampaJim

Re: Help with guide sizing

Post by TampaJim »

rolle2259 wrote:I am building an inshore spinning rod for reds & trout. The reel spool has an outside diameter of 43mm. Should the first guide closest to the reel be 20 mm ? Also are the size of the guides measured by the inside diameter of the ring? Thanks to all that reply.
A 25mm guide will be the most universal - mono or braid in various diameters and stiffness. IF you are using braided line, you could drop to a 16mm without issue. Just as important is the proper location of the butt guide.

Guides are measured at the inside edge of the frame OR the outside edge of the ceramic insert (if one exists). The measurements are the same, just pick the wording you prefer.