stakeout poles

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
houdini

Post by houdini »

Home Depot has a pole in the garden department that is plastic coated steel and about eight feet. I use it as a pole for poling in shallows and for a stake out. Costs under $10.
They have a shorter one as well if you don't want to pole with it.
wiggleyourjig

ski poles

Post by wiggleyourjig »

go on ebay for about 15 bucks you can get a set of new ski poles remove the basket and it works perfect.
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

I went and talked to my friendly neighborhood used golf store and am using a graphite driver shaft...works like a charm thru my scuppers but now I have blocked my scuppers...tired of "wet bottom syndrum" and need to find a way to "leash" the pole to the side of the yak....doesn't seem like a difficult task.

Cost: $1.50
East Coast "Clique of One"

"'til reinforced, can we learn the ways of church-mice"
wiggleyourjig

Post by wiggleyourjig »

Just do a anchor trolly system Bob. Its very easy ive done 2 of them. Check out mine sunday. I just recieved my capt dicks stake out pole and its sweet. well worth the $68.
Mike
shallowrider

Post by shallowrider »

Im using a 5 ft electrical emt I cut one end at 45 degrees with a 1/2 t pipe fitting on the other end.
Last edited by shallowrider on Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DayFisher

Post by DayFisher »

I've had my ski pole since I bought my 1st yak.(3 yrs)
Got it at Goodwill.
Best.
KH
Hauling Dead Dinosaurs for Your Vehicles Consumptive Delight to a Gas Station near You!!
DayFisher
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Actually, wooden dowels work perfect, if you buy poplar (not pine). Hardwood doesn't break near as easy as softwood. 5/8" is plenty thick enough and easy to stow. Drill and screw in a #10 or 12 brass woodscrew in one end; then trim to a point using scroll saw and disc sander. It goes into any bottom with little effort (and is sharp enough to use on a rogue great white).
YakDaddy

Cheap stakeout poles

Post by YakDaddy »

I bought two 52" (130cm) aluminum ski poles off of eBay for 10 bucks plus shipping. They work great.
FlaPaddleFish

Re: Cheap stakeout poles

Post by FlaPaddleFish »

YakDaddy wrote:I bought two 52" (130cm) aluminum ski poles off of eBay for 10 bucks plus shipping. They work great.
What are ski poles?
Hobie Outback S.U.V.
mudfish

Re: Cheap stakeout poles

Post by mudfish »

FlaPaddleFish wrote:
YakDaddy wrote:I bought two 52" (130cm) aluminum ski poles off of eBay for 10 bucks plus shipping. They work great.
What are ski poles?
They're like fishing poles only they catch skis. :wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
xfactor

Post by xfactor »

Well guys and gals I have the most ultra modern stakeout pole there is. A five feet wooden push broom handle with the metal end for screwing into the push broom. It is oak and has lasted me for almost two years now. :D

On another note I have seen some that were made out of the solid fiberglass rod blanks and some from graphite blanks. Most of them looked like six feet 130 or unlimited class blanks. I was told that they got them directly from the manufacturer in lots of 10. They looked really nice and supposedly only cost about 10 bucks each.

Jimmy
"It's best not to complain about a splinter to an individual who's lost a limb," Waldnerr.
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

I purchased a piece of 1" OD aluminum pipe (believe it is 3/4 " pipe) put a pvc tee on one end and a sharpened wooden dowel in the other. A piece of rope with a snap on it is used to fasten to the trolley.

If I make addition ones, I will go for a smaller diameter aluminum as you have to work to put them into the bottom unless it is pretty soft.

I am toying with a piece of 1/2 inch steel rod with an eye fashioned in the top end. Needs to be galvinized though. We made these sewing needle shaped gadgets from 3/8" rod to use as flounder gigs. You push the whole rod through the fish and he is then on the stringer fastened to the end of the rod :D Works great for wading.
xfactor

Post by xfactor »

Two things I've seen up here in the farm country of North Carolina are fibre glass fence stakes (about 5' long) and a type of solid pvc up to eight feet long that is used to stake out plants in gardens and yards. Both are about 3/4 of and inch in diameter and both are solid. They are available at most farm stores here.

One other thing that I saw at the beach was a shop that made them out of solid fiber glass boat rod blanks. The man said he got 5 feet blanks and ground the end down to a point and sealed it with glass resin. Then he drilled a hole in the top and attached a quick clip and about 8 feet of rope. He was selling them for 25 dollars. And added that he was making a good profit.

If you have the contacts with some of the tackle distributors this my be a good thing.

Jimmy
"It's best not to complain about a splinter to an individual who's lost a limb," Waldnerr.
On Contingency

Post by On Contingency »

houdini wrote:Home Depot has a pole in the garden department that is plastic coated steel and about eight feet. I use it as a pole for poling in shallows and for a stake out. Costs under $10.
They have a shorter one as well if you don't want to pole with it.

I lost my PVC one last week at Flamingo and just picked up one of these today for 4.89. My brother in law uses one, it floats and fits great in the anchor trolley
fishmaster892

Post by fishmaster892 »

WANG
Emotion Grand Slam Angler
redfish

Post by redfish »

X2 WANG. There isn't a bottom in Tampa Bay that I can not penatrate with my WANG.
Amped Kayak Fishing and Southern Backwater on Facebook
Mercuryverado200 on Youtube
Wright Custom Rods