stakeout poles

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Question for you all, why use wooden dowel and a PVC pipe, why not just use the wooden dowel?
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Rik

Post by Rik »

The size wooden dowel that fits inside the 3/4" PVC is not nearly strong enough on its own. You'd probably have to go way up in size, over an inch, to use just the dowel. That 50 cent dowel inside that 50 cent piece of PVC makes for a pretty stiff stakeout pole.

Or you could get some fancy wood stick from a far away land, burnish it up nicely with a torch, wrap a bit of leather lacing around the grip and use that. It could also be a very nice pointing device.

Neither the PVC pipe or wooden dowel are stong enough on their own. Together, it is indestructible (how's that for a prove me wrong challenge?)
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Time for me to chime in, could not stand it any longer.

Now I did not invent kayak fishing but there sure is a whole lot of talking here about one of the simplest things you need for kayak fishing. Isn't simplicity one of the top ten reason people got into kayak fishing???

We are talking about a stake out pole here guys/gals!! Pretty simple item. I have had my $1.50 (probably less) pvc stake out pole for 2 years now and have never had a problem. It has never broken, not held the yak, not stuck in the ground, etc. I just cut a section from a piece laying around the garage and glued a "T" on the top, like I said pretty simple.

For those that have the fancy high $$$ pole from Capt Dick, congrats on your purchase. I just am shaking my head that we can have a 2 page and running thread with close to 200 views and almost 20 replies on a simple stake out pole. Am I missing something??? Is it that complicated???
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Together, it is indestructible
Call Trump I think we have the material for the new World Trade Center!
Credo quia absurdum
loukiii

Post by loukiii »

I just cut a section from a piece laying around the garage and glued a "T" on the top
What does the "T" stand for? Toddle? Maybe you should give buc one for his van.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

loukiii wrote:What does the "T" stand for?

You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
TroutTracker

Post by TroutTracker »

Mark
I don't like running the stakeout pole through the scuppers when I'm in the yak, I will if I get out and wade.

I like to be able to hook the stakeout pole to the trolley and position myself wherever i want.
Yeller Scupper Pro

John
Redmandan

stakeout pole

Post by Redmandan »

wallyword has a aluminum walking stick aka stakeout pole retracks in three sections with lanyard twist locks, swiss army brand $10.00 works great
ozmo

Post by ozmo »

Just to add to the simplicity thread,

I use my old ski pole with a clip attached and some line. Definitely doesn't bend. Holds really well. Haven't found a downside yet. Cost basically 0 since it was my backup set of poles and I never get to ski anymore. I just cut the basket at the end off.

Ken
Snukerfreak

Post by Snukerfreak »

What Ozmo said. No use for downhill ski equipment in FL. Bingo, two stakeout poles, $0. They are aluminum and will not wear out. They even have a ergonomic handle grip at the top.
Sledford

Post by Sledford »

I made a PVC pole with a wood dowel onside and a T handle on the top. It was hard to drive into the ground. The Capt. Dick's pole is pricey $14.00 a foot :shock: but it is the last one you will ever buy. I bet you don't fish with a $29.00 rod.
Sam
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

Rik - If we all chipped in and bought you a capt. dicks stakeout pole would you get rid of that damn avatar?
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

I bought a surf rod blank for about $25. Cut it down to 5', sealed the small end with silicone and a stainless pan head screw. Added a foam rod handle and rubber cap on the larger end.
Its stiff enough to hold and it floats if you drop it, about $30 total.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
wardster

Post by wardster »

Made mine last week. 1/2 inch pvc with 1/2 inch dowel rod inside. I had to do some sanding to get the rod to fit, but it's snug. Looks pretty sturdy, but I can put a bow in her if I try.
I can't complain for $3.00 or less...
Will test her this weekend. I am thinking about making another at 3/4 an inch, but may not have to......
Gatorlane77

Post by Gatorlane77 »

ozmo wrote:Just to add to the simplicity thread,

I use my old ski pole with a clip attached and some line. Definitely doesn't bend. Holds really well. Haven't found a downside yet. Cost basically 0 since it was my backup set of poles and I never get to ski anymore. I just cut the basket at the end off.

Ken
Whatcha doin with the other pole? :wink:
Fishwhistler

Post by Fishwhistler »

I got an twist lock extendable paint handle with nice rubber grip for my stake out pole. Its aluminum and plastic. works like a charm.