stakeout poles

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

stakeout poles

Post by Paul »

I thought I would make some Stakeout poles to offer to my customers or include them in a Kayak package.

I've made several PVC ones and they are not very durable.

I wanted to get some ideas.

Anyone used a wooden dowel in the PVC pipe to stiffen it ??

We have stainless steel and Aluminum tubing at work...anyone make metal stakeout pole???

is there a prefered length??

Thanks in advance
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
RockinNReelin

Post by RockinNReelin »

The guys have PVC poles that have been very sturdy and held up well. They are 1/2" heavy duty PVC. The 1/2 PVC would not fit in the Prowler 13's scupper holes so I have one that is made out of 1/2" conduit with an elbow on the top for a handle. It works GREAT but don't know yet how it will hold up.
~Sharon~
Never lie to someone you trust, Never trust someone who lies to you.
Bigfish171
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Bigfish171 »

I made mine from a 4' sprinkler head extension. They're available in 6' also. Grey, fairly stiff, & threaded on both ends. I siliconed a 12" pc of dowel in one end & cut that end at an angle. Threaded a tee on the other end & filled it with silicone. Attached a lanyard to make it look finished.
It's visible in the picture under the spinning rod.

Dave

Rik

Re: stakeout poles

Post by Rik »

Paul at Masthead wrote:Anyone used a wooden dowel in the PVC pipe to stiffen it ??
Yes. A PVC pipe alone is too flexible. When you put the wooden dowel inside - and there is a perfect size dowel that requires a bit of tapping to get it in the PVC - it stiffens up nicely.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

:shock:
Last edited by LivelyBaits on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
Rik

Post by Rik »

For the price of a Capt. Dicks stakeout pole, I could make a lifetime's supply of PVC poles for a dozen kayakers.

Yes, it's a slick stakeout pole but $70 for a 4 foot pole to stick in the mud to hold you in place? It is the Rolls Royce of stakeout poles but I'll spend my money on something more important.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Do you attach your stakeout pole to a rope so you can trolley it forward or back? I definitely like that about the CaptDick model as well. Clips off and on easily.
But yes, it was some cash to fork over for something I could make myself, but I did get tired of bending pvc pipe.
Bigfish171
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Bigfish171 »

My anchor trolley has a 1-1/2" ring. I just stake the pole thru the ring & trolley it like an anchor. The tee is larger than the ring so it won't slip over the top. I made two poles & the second can be staked thru a scupper for more precise positioning.

Dave
Last edited by Bigfish171 on Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rik

Post by Rik »

At the top of the PVC pipe, put a T fitting on. Tie a loop of line, with a snap hook on it, through that T fitting. The snap hook adds another $1.50 to the price of the pole.

I don't have the snap hook on mine as the pole fits through the circle fitting on my anchor trolley. I do clip the wade line to it, though when 'anchoring'

Hey, Dick's pole is a great pole. It is the best one out there if money isn't a concern. Just a matter of priorities.
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

thanks for the input

I think I'll go with the PVC and wooden dowel way.

$70.00 bucks for a stakeout pole???? :shock: It must be nice...but things of quality usually come at a price
Paul Silvernail
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

One other idea, even though I am still with RBL on the $1.50 stake out pole.

Pool Cues from Wal Mart. About $15 and they come in two pieces and for me at least I can get a really cool one with flames on it that matches my paddle. Have to be matching to look good out there. :wink: JayB has one and works great.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
TroutTracker

Post by TroutTracker »

If you use 3/4 inch schedule 40 PVC pipe you can get a wooden dowel that will slip right up inside of the PVC.

I cut the bottom of the PVC at an angle and just long enough so the dowel sits up inside about an inch from the end of the pipe. At the top of the pipe I glued a tee on it and put a cap on each end of the tee.

With the wooden dowel inserted all the way up inside the pipe; drill a hole through the tee and the dowel then run an anchor bolt through it. This holds the dowel in place inside the PVC and keeps it from slipping up and down inside the pipe.
A length of rope can be attached to the anchor bolt and used to hook up on an anchor trolley

At the bottom use a heavy duty silicon to seal the bottom so the salt water can't get to the wooden dowel.
Yeller Scupper Pro

John
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

i only had problems with PVC flexing in deeper water and rough conditions. both of which are better suited for anchor use.

and if you have front scuppers, why would ya need to trolley a stakeout pole?
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

Yeah - everytime I bend my PVC stakepole is in deep water and windy condition.....probably should use my anchor in those conditions :idea:
Paul Silvernail
paddln4reds

Post by paddln4reds »

DITTO on Neil's posts.
Rick

T140 Yellow
T120 Slate
T130 Mango
T130 Lime
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Mark,
It's a good question. I do have an answer: I don't like running a stakeout through a scupper. The last guide I broke on a rod was when a fish made a hard run under the yak. Before I could pull up on the stakeout pole it had raked the rod on it and bashed the guide.

Deeper water and windy conditions. Well, not always deep water but that windy conditions part is standard for me.