prescription polarized sunglasses

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
islander

prescription polarized sunglasses

Post by islander »

I know nothing about polarized glasses! I've ignored every post on the subject. So can somebody fill me in on these things??? Color choice?? Anybody use prescription lenses???
JayB
Founder's Club

Post by JayB »

There are links below to some other discussion on the subject.

Not needing prescription lenses (yet), I like my Costa Del Mars. I also have a pair of Native Wear Sunglasses that are good too.
SteveG

Re: prescription polarized sunglasses

Post by SteveG »

islander wrote:I know nothing about polarized glasses! I've ignored every post on the subject. So can somebody fill me in on these things??? Color choice?? Anybody use prescription lenses???
I've been wearing prescription polarized sunglasses for years. I'm nearsighted and use bifocals in my regular glasses. However, I can see close up pretty well. So, I use single-vision prescription glasses. I get them through my optical shop. They have had a decent selection of frames. I get amber lenses since a majority of my fishing is in the shallow backcountry. This has worked well for me. For years, I got glass lenses. However, last time I got plastic and I'm happy.
SteveG

http://members.fishingworks.com/Steve_G/

"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil
rth95

Post by rth95 »

Action Optics can do single or bifocal scripts.

Bolle makes several pair with script inserts.

If you find one the does tri focals for use bline folks please post it.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

WalMart has decent polarized prescription glasses as well, priced a bit lower than the optical shops. Depends on where you want your money to go.

The best fishing glasses I've worn have been the $9.99 plastic "Flying Fish" ones. You lose some of the spiffy coatings, but the glare reduction is fantasitc. Easily beats most of the $100+ ones I've worn, and when (not if) I lose or scatch them it isn't a big deal.
Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.
aiden

Post by aiden »

Got my Costa bifocals at Disston Optical 727-522-8423
The owner Linda is very good to deal with
Ender

Post by Ender »

I had just the mid-range (~$45) pair of polarized non-presciption for years, but had noticed that with the years the distance that things started looking fuzzy started to creep up on me...

So just a few months ago I went into Lens Crafters had my eyes checked out, picked out a nice pair of Ray-Bans and had my glasses the next day... minus a few $'s

I can not say how all the nice quality 'fishing' glasses compare to these, but I can say that I am more than happy with the Ray-Bans...
I'm not a complete idiot -- Some parts are missing.
meb

Post by meb »

I have prescription Ocean Waves with the backwater green lenses. Takes a bit to get used to the prescription wrap arounds, but I have no regrets. They make a huuuuge difference.

I ordered mine at the Outdoors Show and saved $40
Hooked

Post by Hooked »

I got my Ocean Waves in amber at Disston in Clearwater about 6 weeks ago. They make a huge difference over the polarized clips that I wore over my bifocal prescription lenses.

Warning (could go in don't ask me how I know) - wear a good strap! I've contributed more than one pair of expensive specs to the nearsighted snook foundation!
Lou aka 'Hooked'

Now Adam's prize was open eyes
His sentence was to see
Day by day, he's worn away
Against reality
bluz-fisher

Post by bluz-fisher »

Anybody here have experience with trifocal/progressive polarized fishing sunglasses? These old eyes need some serious help, and the clip-ons just don't cut it. Thanks!!

James
Hooked

Post by Hooked »

James,

My Ocean Waves are progressive lenses - your frame choices get limited as your presription gets worse (my eyes average to a -8 with fairly significant astigmatism), but these are so much better than the clips!

Disston Optical in St. Pete is the place. You won't be disappointed.
Lou aka 'Hooked'

Now Adam's prize was open eyes
His sentence was to see
Day by day, he's worn away
Against reality
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Ender wrote: I can not say how all the nice quality 'fishing' glasses compare to these, but I can say that I am more than happy with the Ray-Bans...
I am happy with my Ray-Bans from Lens Crafters as well. On my second pair and am close to purchasing the third.

Has anyone dealt with Pearl? Just wondering about their polarized Rx glasses too.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

I have graduated trifocals in reg and sunglasses. The 'sun' are not polarized. Rather than spend big bucks on another pair of sunglasses, I am trying "Cocoons". I picked them up at Bass Pro for $42.
They are wraparound and fit nicely over my existing glasses. They do not distort my vision. I just got them yesterday, so I can't say how well they work on the water..
TB
clwpaddler

Fit Overs

Post by clwpaddler »

Bought a pair of Fit Overs from West Marine in St Pete and seem to be very well built. I have progressive lenses in my regular glasses and with these fir overs, my eye strain is gone and the quality of the lenses seem to be very good. Not the most sylish but never had a fish complain! :P
Woody
I fish well,but the catching needs work!
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

Well I have had time to try the "Cocoons" mentioned above, and am very satisfied with them. At $42 I can replace them every year if I destroy them.
TB
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

hiya all, after info on getting a pair of prescription ray-bans, ideally someplace i can sort the details out online before my next trip.(so i can pick em up when i arrive)

it will have to be somewhere near to st. pete(or as near as poss)

any ideas/suggestions??

thanks
ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.