prescription polarized sunglasses

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

OK... these are not cheap, but they are worth it. I use Oakley prescription polarized glasses. Oakley has a process that provides 100% distortion free view in all directions no matter how curved the lens is. I wear a black plastic wrap around frame style called Monster Dog and I use black iridium lenses.
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

Tree-Bone wrote:I have graduated trifocals in reg and sunglasses. The 'sun' are not polarized. Rather than spend big bucks on another pair of sunglasses, I am trying "Cocoons". I picked them up at Bass Pro for $42.
They are wraparound and fit nicely over my existing glasses. They do not distort my vision. I just got them yesterday, so I can't say how well they work on the water..
TB
I have been using Cocoons for over a year now: quality lenses for the price and no complaints.
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
H2ODawg

Post by H2ODawg »

I have worn a pair of fit overs from Walmart for about two years. They were about $30. Again, not the most stylish but they don't look too bad. I wear a pair of green lenses and the wife is wearing amber, which work great in low light situations. The biggest thing is dependant on what style of Rx frames you wear and making sure the fit overs can completely cover them. Mine are complete wrap arounds and shut out all of the back light. Thought about getting Rx S/G's on and off, but just can't justify the cost verses this option.
I fish, therefore I am.

MIKE
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Fitovers work Ok, but if you can afford it, a good quality pair of polarized presrciption glasses are so much better for what we want to do --- see fish in the water.

After losing an expensive pair of polarized glasses several years ago, I've only allowed myself some fitovers. No matter how good the lenses are, once you put a second set of lenses over your eye glasses, you are losing some vision. I'll always keep a coupld of fitovers around with different colored lenses for different light conditions, but quality prescriptions are the way to go, IMHO.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
H2ODawg

Post by H2ODawg »

Terry, I totally agree. As you said, if you can afford them, Rx polarized without a doubt the way to go. I myself have lost some very expensive shades and definitely see the difference between the two. If I were still fishing tournaments I would want as good as I can afford. My fishing these days is strictly recreational and I just can't justify the cost. My primary objective is to find a happy medium between being able to see the fish/structure and reducing eye strain, and for me, the fit overs cover my needs. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend and feel good about it.
I fish, therefore I am.

MIKE
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Just wanted to say I recently got a pair of Cocoons. They were the first pair of go'overs I've found that my wife will let me where in public.

These will hold me over while I save up for Rx costa's w/ mirror finish
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Randyaker

Post by Randyaker »

Are those found in your local Wal-mart or do you have to go to one of the high end sunglass stores. PEACE!
Never realized how much love I had to give until Lance showed up. I Love You Son.
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Randyaker wrote:Are those found in your local Wal-mart or do you have to go to one of the high end sunglass stores. PEACE!
I found them at Bass Pro Shop in Estero..
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Sunglassses

Post by Fishaddict »

I tried several fit over sunglasses and found that the Coccoons are good but cost twice as much as the Solar Shields sold at Walgreens. I have the grey and brown for different light conditions and when they get scratched or lost or broken I can biy a new pair. Prescriptions start at $99 and since eye prescriptions change can be quite costly...
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
Randyaker

Snglasses

Post by Randyaker »

Thanx for the 411 Addict, or should I say Mr. Adddict.
Never realized how much love I had to give until Lance showed up. I Love You Son.
shallow pockets

Post by shallow pockets »

Oakly makes a great pair of prescripton polorized sunglasses. I own a pair.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
shallow pockets

Post by shallow pockets »

I wear Oakly prescription polarized sun glasses. They only last me about 6 months before I have to get a new pair do to sweat destroying the prescription lense.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

shallow pockets wrote:I wear Oakly prescription polarized sun glasses. They only last me about 6 months before I have to get a new pair do to sweat destroying the prescription lense.
I owned a couple of pairs of Oakley's and every pair I had the clear coat would peel off and Oakley wouldn't warranty my glasses so I quit buying them. I switched to Costa Del Mars and love them.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'