Rods & Reels..What are your favorites and why??

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
tailnreds

Rods & Reels..What are your favorites and why??

Post by tailnreds »

Just thought I would post this to see how pleased everyone is with their rods and reels. I currently have a Redbone with a Stradic reel. The Redbone is fine, The Stradic 2500 on the otherhand has been babied and still seems to have a grinding noise. I used to own a couple of Spheros 4000's and was pretty happy with them (no real grinding noise that I remember). The Quantom Cabo looks impressive. Any thoughts?
thabigdawg

Post by thabigdawg »

I have a Star rod with a Stradic.

I really love it. It is a great combo! (Thanks CCA...I took second in the Hunt for Reds and earned it there)
traveling East
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I use the Quantum products and I like them a lot. I have the Cabo, Boca and Catalyst Inshore reels. I am partial to the Catalyst because they have a 20 in that reel that is the same size as the 2500 in the Stradic. And I like smaller reels. I also use the Cabo rods and I like them as much as any other rod I have used including Loomis.

Prior to that I used the Stradics (old model) and never had any problems with them. I have not used the newer models, so I cannot comment on those. I matched up all my Stradics with various St. Croix Tidemaster rods and they were great as well.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
loukiii

Post by loukiii »

I have a 2500 stradic on a redbone and a 4000 symetre on a redbone. I like em both. The stradic makes a slight grinding noise for me as well. I think it just needs to be lubed or something.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Older stradics have been great. I have the 2000's (2 of them) the 2500 (3 of them) and the 4000 (3 of them) and they do pretty well. The 2500s seem to

The Sustain is probably my favorite reel I have. It's been beaten on because I let my brother use it for three weeks when he was here from Arizona and also let other visitors use it as well. The finish is all dinged up now but as far and performance when it's me agains at big fish, I prefer to have that one in hand.

I also like the two Capricorns I got recently. They perform great but have a little rattle noise that I haven't figured out yet but it's so minor it doesn't matter.

I also have one Spheros that I've used a great deal recently and it's worked nicely.

For rods, I have been making my own for a little over a year now and getting better at that. But I never went wrong with all the St. Croix rods I bought in the past. G loomis rods are also great if you've got that kind of dough.
For a travel rod, think about a Cabelas. Good rods and if you ever have a problem (like a gag grouper breaking one) their return policy is excellent.

NEIL
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

My Stradic 2500 is schedualed for execution tonight at 1730. All stays are exhausted and final preparations are being made by the executioner (me). Pictures of it's long overdue date with the sledgehammer will be viewable sometime this evening.
My 2 spheros are fine. Probably gonna try a Quantum one of these days. I hear Mark M. likes em.
St. Croix rods get my nods.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Dave-

From here on out you will refer to me as "Esquire" as I have now taken the Pro Bono job of defending the rights of your Stradic from certain and premature death. Any use of a sledge hammer will be deemed "cruel and unneccesary" punishment and you wil suffer something of the same fate if my client is abused in any way. :lol:

I like my Stradics and they have been a very good reel in the years I have owned them. I must have bought something special because mine work as good as new. DaveR's stradic is another story, problems from day one. Dave knows what I am refering to becasue he tried mine one day and he could not believe they were 2-3 yrs old.

The problem with my 2-3 yr old stradics is that they look like a 10 yr old reel. They are truly not built for salt water abuse. I get teh feeling that someday soon the corrosion is going to get the best of them and they are going to fall apart.

I have recently, in the past year, bought Quantam Cabos and Bocas. Great reel, far superior to the stradics, IMO. If they made a 2500 series in those models I would get rid of the stradics in a heartbeat.

As far as rods go I have a few redbones but have been replacing them with Quantam rods. They have help up well and they are a superior rod to redbones in construction and material.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Falcon Coastal rods and Penn Slammer reels. Love the rods. Slammer reels are a tad heavier than the competition for the same line capacities, but I like the drag, they're durable, they don't look stupid and are US made. If they're anything like other Penn reels, parts will be available forever, making them a decent purchase for someone looking for a repairable item rather than a throw-away.
Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Shimano Chronarch/Chronarch SF/Calais ASV on either Berkley Series One or Bionix rods. Throw in a Calcutta 400 for throwing really big lures. All my inshore rods are 6' and my tarpon rods are either 6'6" or 7'. No egg beaters allowed on my yak :lol:.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Another vote for Slammers although I did have to replace a roller bearing after about 9 months. I use a 460 for Tarpon and 260 for flats. Good reels indeed.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
JayB
Founder's Club

Post by JayB »

Daiwa Capricorns and Advantage. After 1 1/2 years of use they are holding up well. The bail is second to none, the drag smooth, and they are a little lighter than most of the reels in their class.

Falcon Rods...I wonder why? Seriously, the Falcon Coastals give you a good deal for the $ and the Cenderi is as good a high end rod at a considerbly lesser price.

J
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

I really like G*Loomis and St. Croix rods.

Reels, I too still like my Capricorns. I am still liking my Okumas too. The new Alumina is new on the list along with the VS.

dave, I don't blame ya. I destroyed Sharon's Stratic months ago. Although it was on accident, she didn't mind at all.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
paddln4reds

Post by paddln4reds »

I have a pair of the newer Shimano 4000 Stradics and three Shimano 4000 Spheros. I use the cheap Shimano Clarus rods( I like them) and a Falcon Coastal. I'm not too sure about the Stradics, mine grind too. I prefer the feel and performance of the Spheros much better. I've been thinking about trying the smaller Daiwas and upgrading my rods to either a G Loomis or St. Croixs.
Last edited by paddln4reds on Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

T140 Yellow
T120 Slate
T130 Mango
T130 Lime
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

The deed is done.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

You will be hearing from me soon....I hope, at the very least, you liberated the power pro from that POS.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

And it knoted up my P.P. Damn! I feel great!!!! Might have to rethink my anti death penalty stance.

"SANCTUARY!!!"