Rods & Reels..What are your favorites and why??

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Todd. Look UP.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

DaveR wrote:Todd. Look UP.
Was typing while you were posting.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Gator

Post by Gator »

The handle on the Stradic has been grinding, but that is it so far. After a trip I rinse them real good with fresh water on the outside, as well as taking the spools off and giving the inside a good rinse too. I think I'm gonna start breaking them down every month or so to prolong their use. Those of you who do this, what do you do? I mean how anal do you get? Take everything apart and give it a toothbrush scrub and oil?
Speaking of my reels of course. Can anyone give me a good answer on breaking down the reel. This seems fairly simple but are some of you taking gears apart or what?
"We are the people our parents warned us about."-Jimmy Buffett
Rik

Post by Rik »

I usually do a complete tear down of my Stradics once a year. All the way apart. Keep the manual with the schematic handy. The Shimano website has some full page schematics you can download. They are much easier to read than the one in the manual you got with the reel. I clean off any grease/oil on all the parts and then start from scratch putting it back together.

Every so often when I feel the need, I'll open the side plate and spray out the inside with a blast of some sort of spray lube like WD40 - although I use something called TriFlow. It has Teflon in it. You won't get a good clean on the bearings but this is more just a relube than a complete cleaning.

I use Quantum Hot Sauce grease and oil.

One word of caution about the Stradics (and maybe a few other reels). They use some small white plastic washers. They are primarily just spacers. When covered in oil, they are darn near clear and just about invisible. Very easy to miss and its amazing how much that little washer means to the proper workings of the reel.

Or, you could just send them to Dave's/Fishermans World and let them do it for you. If they find anything not right, they have all the parts on hand. They are fair, do good work and will call you before they spend any of your money on new parts.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

St. Croix Tidemaster Extra heavy power / extra fast action
tailnreds

Post by tailnreds »

Have an address for Dave's/Fishermans World? My Stradic 2500 is totally messed up..like someone said "replace the white bushing on the main gear with a bearing" is what my Stradic needs I think. I have kept my reel emaculate. never dunked..just started grinding last weekend for no reason.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Fisherman's World (Dave's Parts & Service)
1500 US Hwy 19 North
Holiday FL 34691
727 942-8944

http://www.fishing-boating.com/fishermansworld/
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
tailnreds

Post by tailnreds »

Thanks Rik for all of the info!!
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

I have 6 stradics that have been sitting in a box on a shelf waiting for a trip to Dave's Fisherman's world for about 2 years. One day I will make it up there.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
Gator

Post by Gator »

RBL- Thanks for the info.
"We are the people our parents warned us about."-Jimmy Buffett
SADHU

Post by SADHU »

After reading these posts, I don't feel nearly as guilty about my growing collection of rods & reels since we moved to Bradenton.
I've tried Shimano Stradic 2500, Spheros 4000, Capticorn 2000, Daiwa Sol 2500, Quantum Catalysts, Okuma Epixor, & Van Staal 100.
The Van Staal went right back - too stiff for retrieving lures all day & I ended up not liking the no-bail & no optional anti-reverse.
I like both Daiwa models best, second would be the Spheros. The Daiwas are just great reels with all the features needed, & the Spheros are easy to maintain yourself.
Tried a Penn in the store once & it felt 2 yrs. old brand new. Funny how everyone recommending Penn reels always points out how important spare parts are!
My favorite rod is a Loomis Bronzeback, a 7'4" smallmouth rod that's perfect inshore. Also have two 6'6" Ugly Sticks, an Inshore & a Lite, that are great & cheap. I bought a 'custom' 8 1/2' rod from a bookwriting guide in Shell Point that is a piece of crap, just like the one and only guided day I ever talked myself into paying for was with him. No more guides for me, I like it much better on my own.
Kingslayer

Post by Kingslayer »

I have two light rods and reels I always have with me. One is a Quantum Cabo 40 on a Quantum 6'5" rod and the other is a Diawa Millionaire (conventional) on a Diawa 6'5" rod.

For the big stuff I have a Quantum Big Iron on a custom 7' rod that I built.
fishinfoflounder

Abu Garcia

Post by fishinfoflounder »

I see the majority of you like spinning reels. I don't even own one. My fav's are The round baitcasters by Abu Garcia.
For switching I prefer the 4601's followed bye the 5601's. In my humble opinion no one makes a finer reel.

For live baiting the 6501 gets the nod. I do have a few shimanos also bait casters & they've been pretty good to me. But hands down the Garcias are the way to go.

Rob.
DAILY THOUGHT: MOST PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
fishinfoflounder

Shimano

Post by fishinfoflounder »

I posted concerning reels & kinda left out the rods. My favorite rod bar none (And I know I'll get some flak) is an older Shimano Speedmaster rod. I bought it when I was really eat up with Largemouth Bass fishing. It's incredibly sensitive 6' long & has a pistol grip handle. Shimano stopped making them, why I have no idea. They made another somewhat similar called a Bullwhip. Both excellent rods for topwater & jig fishing. I picked up a Bullwhip on ebay for a decent price. The Speedmasters have been regularly selling for close to the $200 range. If you get opportunity to get you're hands on one at a reasonable price I believe you'll be very happy with it. If you get one at a reasonable price & aren't happy with it pm me & I'll most probably buy it from you. The ones I have are baitcast models. They made spinning editions too, can't comment on them as I've never used one.
DAILY THOUGHT: MOST PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
sessions

Re: Rods & Reels..What are your favorites and why??

Post by sessions »

I've read with interest the posts re tarpon fishing. I would appreciate any guidance re rigging: rod weight/ length; line weight/ mono vs braid; flouro weight/ length; float size; preferred bait ( can we get it at a bait shop or do we have to catch our own?); hook type/ size; anything else you tarpon pros can help us with. Thanks for your help.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Re: Rods & Reels..What are your favorites and why??

Post by shamus »

The Van Staal went right back - too stiff for retrieving lures all day & I ended up not liking the no-bail & no optional anti-reverse.
Of course reels, rods, women and bourbon are all personal choices. Van Staal's take quite awhile to "break in" both the reel and your muscle memory for picking up the line after a cast. I have know idea why they are so tight for so long before they break in. There is one theme I keep reading in many of the previous post. After dunking my reel for 30 seconds I pulled it completely apart. That is one thing you don't have to worry about. I also don't believe there is a single piece of plastic in the entire reel.
Now I do use slammers and cabos and have owned a few shimanos over the years They all come and go the Van Stall is 10 years old and still does 80 days a year on the water. Handles all duties from trout to tarpon.
0 0 1