Anchor Line Origame

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
DayFisher

Anchor Line Origame

Post by DayFisher »

Fishing last friday I was overcome with the feeling I should throw my anchor overboard,
WITHOUT IT TIED ON!!!
How does everyone dealwith/handle/stow their line on their 'yak so it doesn't become a freakin' tangled monkey's fist, but at the ready for deployment?
I saw fpacer's idea and thought it was the best so far.
2 cleats about a foot apart with the line wrapped around them.
I swear, if I can't come to a happy medium with this, I'm gonna have the only paddlecraft with a "Power Pole"
DayFisher
Hauling Dead Dinosaurs for Your Vehicles Consumptive Delight to a Gas Station near You!!
DayFisher
RockinNReelin

Post by RockinNReelin »

Um... SEVERAL people have a manual "power pole" on their yaks. We made ours out of PVC. Cut a piece as long as you want it put a T-handle on top and don't plug the ends. They work GREAT!!! I have an anchor trolley on my yak and just throw the anchor over and clip it to a caribiner. I just lay the extra line in the back tank well. It's not real neat but it works. Make sure you wrap the line up for storage and just let it out, wrap the left over line and throw it in the tank well. The trolley is also GREAT for using a drift shoot the same way you would use your anchor. I'm sure you'll get many different replies to this thread. Good luck solving your dilemna.
~Sharon~
Never lie to someone you trust, Never trust someone who lies to you.
paddln4reds

Post by paddln4reds »

I'm gonna have the only paddlecraft with a "Power Pole"
:lol:

Keith...it looked like you were managing fine. I know what you mean about the anchor line...mine starts off all neat and in order and then it becomes a bunch of spaghetti all in the cockpit. That day the wind was so strong I couldn't set the anchor...I need to get a larger anchor like you and Sam have. Like Sharon mentioned...make a stakeout pole out of PVC. If it's shallow enough...I'll use the pole, before I'll use the anchor.

CIAO
Rick

T140 Yellow
T120 Slate
T130 Mango
T130 Lime
evil momma duck

Post by evil momma duck »

Mauso1 and I are going to try cable cuffs...Go to Home Depot and get "cable cuffs" in the electrical department they are about a buck . They work just like a handcuff..not the furry kind :lol: Stuff line in a waterproof bag kind of like the Walden Kit http://www.snowshoecenter.com/shop/product.cfm?p=305

I found a insulated wine bottleholder bag at a garage sale Sat..50ft of 3/16 line fits perfect. Weird how you can find just the right use for someone else "stuff"

Secure the anchor line with the cable cuff and as you let line out simply tighten the cuff. You could secure the bag to the yak and as long as you dont let the anchor out longer than the rope no way to lose it.
Just Ducky!!!
JayB
Founder's Club

Post by JayB »

Retractable dog leashes seem to do the trick best for me.
Stereotactic radiation saved my life.

I may not be an angel, but I had a halo.
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

JayB wrote:Retractable dog leashes seem to do the trick best for me.
Brilliant ! :)
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Keith ..ck you pm box...trout heaven :wink:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Rik

Post by Rik »

How much line do you have? 15' of line can't get that tangled.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave »

I've been using a dog leash for quite some time with great results. The system locks, acting as a cleat. No tangle, mess and simple to use.

One thing I did before I used this system was to open the case and spary the spring a racheting mechanism with Boeshield.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I've been using the dog leash for over two years now and its still holding up, I keep the handle in the tank-well so it doesn't get exposed to too much water. I rinse it after every trip and spray a little Corrosion Block in the mechanism, but for only $10 two years is worth it.

The leash i use is 16' long, but they are available in longer lengths. It certainly saves all the hassle of managing your anchor line.

I can't take credit for the idea though, it was a guy from Captain Mel's who first came up with the idea, Biff was his name i think. :lol:
Last edited by John on Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
paddln4reds

Post by paddln4reds »

Man, you guys are for real on this dog leash thing, aren't you? :o Today...I just might have to make a trip to Pet Smart?!
Rick

T140 Yellow
T120 Slate
T130 Mango
T130 Lime
DayFisher

Post by DayFisher »

I already have a "manual" powerpole also. I found a ski pole at a yard sale and knocked the big round tip off. This thing must have been for Andre' the Giant, I love it.
Length??? Longer than 15 ft, but not by much. I think I'll jump from 1/4 inch to 3/8's and see if that makes a difference also.
What brand dog leashes are ya'll using??
I used to work for a pet store wholesaler and never had a brand that would stand up to a dog much less a kayak in the tide.
That was abt 8-10 years ago though, they must be making them better now.
I guess I should get to a pet store soon, retractable leashes are gonna be the new hot commodity!!
DayFisher
Hauling Dead Dinosaurs for Your Vehicles Consumptive Delight to a Gas Station near You!!
DayFisher
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

I have a pvc pole with a -t- ..and an anchor with only about 10 ft of line. I usally fish real shallow so the 5ft pole is a great anchor... and if i do go into deeper water i usally dont go over 10 ft... if i do anchor the extra line goes in the foot area of my tarpon...I havent had a problem yet... 8)
fish on..and on...and on...and on
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

with all the dog leash talk...I went to bass pro shops online and found the atwood anchor rein.... looks promising but for 54$ i think the leash is a better deal

heres the address..... http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog. ... get=browse
fish on..and on...and on...and on
Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave »

It might be too bulky to mount inside of your kayak plus it would take up valuable storage space.
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

ummm... how has this thread lasted so long without thr presentation on an award? *wink wink nudge nudge*

i use the ever so popular anchor trolley but i am not neat about slinging the line everywhere. i'm sure in the future i will be posting a story similar to DLs. and thanks for answering a question for me Dave. I always wondered about the drag screaming under water thing. a guy i once worked with told me a story about his lil girl losing a rod overboard while grouper fishing. he put on the dive gear and found the rod. it was still stuck to a 12lb red grouper and faught the fish while standing on the ocean bottom.