wading boots/shoes??

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
ray-uk

wading boots/shoes??

Post by ray-uk »

hiya all, what do you wear(foot wise) when your out fishing???

i was using an old pair of trainers, they did the job, but would not have lasted much longer than 2 weeks and did give me a few blisters due to sand getting in.

just curious.

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
TroutTracker

Post by TroutTracker »

Hi Ray

I have a pair of neoprene wading boots (shimano), had them for a little over a year now and they've held up quite well. Wear them both in and out of the yak.
They have a snug fit around the ankles so no sand gets in them. I've worn them on occasion all day with no rubbing or blisters.

Paid $34.00 U.S. and considering their still holding up, it was money well spent.
Yeller Scupper Pro

John
captjake

Post by captjake »

Same as above...

Had mine for almost 5 years now with no problems. May need some next year due to the sole starting to wear down. Black w/ blue and white SHIMANO lettering on the outside ankles...JAKE
May you all hear the 'rattle' of the mighty poon
o
o
o<'(()))><
Rik

Post by Rik »

I have several pair of wading boots. I like these the best for Florida. The neoprene uppers have micro holes in them which stops the suction on your foot. Sometimes a neoprene wading boot will build up enough suction that it feels like your toenails will be pulled out.

Shimano Wade Boots

This high quality wade boot features a four-layer mid-sole construction of felt and rubber to prevent punctures from sharp or jagged objects like coral or shells. Breathable 4mm neoprene upper with jersey laminated on both sides yields all day comfort and prevents suction. Full interior gusset along with adjustable closure leg strap keeps sand and debris out. The oversize #10 YKK Delrin zipper will not corrode, and the back heel counter provides for easy removal. Also great for float tubes.

I also have a pair of the Orvis low tops on my Christmas list

Low-Top Flats Booties
Maximum Comfort

A great value in low-top flats booties for those times when a full-featured flats boot is more than is needed. Looking for a boot that’s more comfortable in the heat? Easier on-and-off, and easier to pack than a technical flats bootie, similar in construction to diving boots, but with the same protective sole found on our Christmas Island Wading Boot.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Bob3

ray protection?

Post by Bob3 »

Will the Shimano boot provide stingray protection better than the Orvis?
Rik

Post by Rik »

No, neither provide sting ray protection.

I have one pair of Shimano boots that have a hole in them just above the ankle from a sting ray. Now, maybe if I'd had the low tops on the barb may have penetrated deeper but either way, it got me.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

thanks gents, have found some on the cabelas site

here

might seem a bit of a daft question, but do you get the same size as your shoes or a size smaller for a tighter fit??

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
Sledford

Post by Sledford »

I have a pair of Hogman wading boots I purchased at Sports Authority that work well.
Sam
Bob3

wading boot size

Post by Bob3 »

I believe Wading shoes/boots come only in even sizes. Be sure to try them on before you buy. Too loose & they can come off your foot in a soft bottom. Too tight can be uncomfortable & may cause blisters. I wear a 10 1/2 shoe but use size 11 wading shoe and wader boots.
Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave »

I've been wearing these. The NRS Desparado shoe, they have held up well but sand and shell can get into the shoe after wading in silt.

My next purchase will be a pair of Shimano wade booties.
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

Be sure to try them on before you buy
not much chance of that bob, will be getting them via the net.

have had a nosey around, basspro only have 2 sizes and i cannot find any of the shimano ones (not for uk delivery) so will get the ones from cabelas.

thanks gents
ray.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Ray, remember that USA sizes are one size smaller then UK. I wore a size 12 in the UK, but wear either 13 or 14 here.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Bob3

wading shoes

Post by Bob3 »

Although you did not mention your intended use of the shoes we in Florida wear rubber soles to protect feet & ankles from sharp oysters beds. I use the Shimano for this purpose. If you are wading over slippery rocks get felt soles instead.

I have a pair of Cabela's 1000 Denier wading boots(SE-0350) that I wear in the winter over stocking foot waders. Too rough & uncomfortable to wear alone without waders.

I have also used a pair of TEVA white water sandles which work well on slippery rocks but have no ankle protection.
FishingFerret

Post by FishingFerret »

Ray, remember that USA sizes are one size smaller then UK. I wore a size 12 in the UK, but wear either 13 or 14 here.
Stop bragging Johnster :wink: :lol: -G
Your signature sucks.
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

Although you did not mention your intended use of the shoes
same thing as you use em for, just forward planning for my next trip. :wink:

remember that USA sizes are one size smaller then UK
yup, got that mate.
:wink:

ray.
captjake

Post by captjake »

I wear 10.5 shoes. I thought I would need the 11 Shimanos, but liked the way the 10 fit better. Bought the size 10. Make sure they have a return policy if you are getting them over the net. JAKE
May you all hear the 'rattle' of the mighty poon
o
o
o<'(()))><