How big is your reel

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
Rik

Post by Rik »

JohnS wrote:I've stayed away from the Diawas and Shimanos, primarily because I don't want to buy a reel that I'll need to replace in 2-3 years.
After saying some unkind things about the newer 2500, I do have to add that I have 5 Stradics. A 2000 and four 4000s. Two of the 4000s are from the first year of the white reel, they must be 8 years old. Only one is noisy.

I am thoroughly satisfied with the Shimano reels I have. They've lasted quite a while and still work fine. It's the newer Stradics that concern me.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

I didn't know about the problems others were having with the Stradics until talking to Packrat about it. I went back and looked at when I got my two 2500s and it was going back two years. I guess the most recent model is the one that some of you have had some big problems with...

My Stradics have always been problem free. As I was telling Tim, I have one Sustain in addition to my 5 stradics and the Sustain seems to need oil more frequently than other reels but performs well. For the six months I'm home, I'm HARD on my stuff. I fish them long days, dunk them and I do wash them off well, turn them upside down to dump any little leftover water out of them AND then make sure I keep them oiled up (using those really awful weather days with bad tides to do that work).
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Yes it's the new ones I despise. I have had to take back 3 brand new reels. If I spend that kind of money on a reel it should be perfect. Not noisey. Smooth not ruff. Now the roller bearing is making noise. I will not buy another.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Diawa Advantage for me, they are super smooth, and seem to be holding up well to the abuse i'm giving them. I have two of the 2500 series, by far the best reels I've ever owned.
!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

I know I'm going to get beat up for this but I still love my Van Stall. Yes it did have a freak breakdown while fighting a Tarpon but the company stood behind thier lifetime warrenty and fixed it for free. It was the only mishap I've ever had with it and have owned it for several years now. It's a totaly sealed reel and all you need to do is rinse it off and give it a spray of wd40. You won't find a smoother reel and line capacity is unbelievable.
VS150 / VS150LH SPECIFICATIONS:
Line Capacity: 450 yds./12 pound
Gear Ratio: 4.75:1
Weight: 12.5 oz.
Frame/Spool: 6061-T6 Aluminum
Spool Diameter: 2.255"
Drag System: Front
Line Retrieve: 32.0 inches-per-turn

Oh yeah they look really cool also
captjake

Post by captjake »

Shamus...DUCK---here it comes..... :lol:

I've got one of the Shimano Stellas and love the smoothness, as well as, the power it has to hold a fish with the St. Croix Avid I have it on . IT IS THE SMOOTHEST reel I have.

Only one problem...I WILL NOT take it on the yak. It is a reel I will only take on the Maverick. To afraid...JAKE :oops:
Last edited by captjake on Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you all hear the 'rattle' of the mighty poon
o
o
o<'(()))><
Rik

Post by Rik »

shamus wrote:line capacity is unbelievable
He's just bragging that his is bigger
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

It would be hard to take a Stella on the kayak....I had always wondered about those, the Prion (do they even make those anymore) and the Van Stahl (or ever how you spell it). I truly believe you get what you pay for but have always had a tough time paying that much for a reel that I was going to take out on the kayak. Although, all of mine have held up well with the wear and tear, salt, etc.....that would be the one I would somehow drop over board and somehow in a foot of water would disappear.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

I doubt a Stella would suffer any ill-effects from being used on a kayak. They are just about bulletproof. I've used comparable high-end baitcaster's (Shimano Chronarch, Calais, etc.) for several years on a yak without any problems at all. Then again, I don't use flush-mount rod-holders either, so my reels don't get the constant salt-spray. I only clean my reels thoroughly every 6 months or so on average (around 75 trips), although I lubricate the bearings and maintain the drag washers more frequently. I have one Chronarch that's 8-10 years old...its just as smooth and functional as the one I bought a few months back.
captjake

Post by captjake »

DUSTIN...

I thought those Chronarchs were new to the Shimano line of reels.

How do they compare to the Calcuttas. Are they easier to cast all day long due to the shape of them? JAKE
o
o
o<'(()))><
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

captjake,
I don't know exactly when the first Chronarch was introduced, but I'm guessing 15 years ago. The current model has been produced for about 10 years I believe. I started off with Calcutta's in the high-end market with a 250, 150, and a 50. They are great reels, but not up to par with a Chronarch in terms of smoothness, drag system, and ease of maintaining. The bearings and drag washers on a Calcutta require fairly continual maintenance to the keep the reel in top operating condition...not so with a Chronarch. I've also grown to prefer the low-profile reel as opposed to the round profile of the Calcutta. The Calcutta is a more powerful reel (lower gear ratio), but I use my Chronarchs for 100+lb tarpon without any problems whatsoever. I really believe they're the best high-end reel on the market for the money. The SF series is good as well...it does improve your distance slightly, but I wouldn't fork over the extra $$$ unless you can find a deal.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

dumping the VS overboard use to worry me. Now I keep a lease on it and relax a little more. I have two rod holder on the back of the yak and normally keep it in the left one, for some reason I placed it in the right one and almost gave myself a heartattack when I turned around to retrieve it from the left side. :oops: Love the Van Stall but to tell the truth over the course of my fishing lifetime I've caught more fish off of bare bones basic stuff from kmart and other chain stores. :roll:
captjake

Post by captjake »

That it is..... :D
o
o
o<'(()))><
SnookKatcher

Post by SnookKatcher »

A Van Stall VS-100 is still on my wish-list. They ARE a reel worth the 'full ante'. I hope they start making them again soon... :roll: Lee.
"... this river don't go to Aintry..."
Sky Camo O.K. Drifter
Sledford

Post by Sledford »

I have a VS I use on the kayak. I have a rod float on the rod to be safe. I use 2500 size reels most of the time.
Sam