How big is your reel

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

:shock: Where the heck did this thread pop up from?
Last post in 2004...??? Two year old thread.

Anyway ..I have the newer 2500 Stradic and it doen't compare to the older models..

IMO..go with a 30 Okuma vs.

Although my Okumas do show some cosmetic wear the are all smooth as silk.

A real workhorse in the 30 series is the Okuma MDS.

But for pure joy of using all day ya just can't beat the vs Okuma.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://cybermessageboard.ehost.com/paddlef/viewtopic.php?t=4

Post by Norm »

mauso1 wrote::shock: Where the heck did this thread pop up from?
Last post in 2004...??? Two year old thread.

Anyway ..I have the newer 2500 Stradic and it doen't compare to the older models..

IMO..go with a 30 Okuma vs.

Although my Okumas do show some cosmetic wear the are all smooth as silk.

A real workhorse in the 30 series is the Okuma MDS.

But for pure joy of using all day ya just can't beat the vs Okuma.
I totally agree with this. I too have the Okuma VS30 and have it on my expensive St Croix. Size wise the Okuma 30 is smaller than my 2500 Capricorn, but definitely a tough nut. It handled some heavy reds recently with ease and you can cast that outfit all day long with a very low fatique factor. Oh yeah, it has a sealed drag system as well :wink:

Norm
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Re: How big is your reel

Post by shamus »

Came across this post and saw all the reviews. I noticed that I wrote I've owned my Van Stall for a few years. This year makes 16 years that I have owned it, I've fished it on saltwater the entire time. I will use it again this year for Tarpon, hopefully I get to hear it sing!
0 0 1
fishshooter99

Re: How big is your reel

Post by fishshooter99 »

On the original question: I use 3000 series most often, 4000 quite a bit, occasionally 2500's. I have stradic FI's, FJ's, and one CI (in 4000 for the weight). The only one that I have ever had issues with is a 2500 FI that I bought used.
I am kind of anal about caring for my reels, rods and all my fishing paraphernalia. I rinse everything thoroughly after each fishing outing. If I fish in the morning and plan to go out out in the evening I rinse in between. Like I said I'm anal. It does pay off though. I am nearly 50 and I have a Penn 710 (I think) that I bought at the K Mart in Bradenton when I was a teen that still works perfectly (as clunky as the day it came out of the box) and looks great. I think I paid around $30 for it back then. I can't attest to the ability of any of the previously mentioned reels to withstand the salt environment without my style of care.
As far as rods, I have had good luck of late with: Shimano Teramar, TFO signature series, and St. Croix Inshore Mojo. I'd give the edge to the Teramar, but I really like the TFO rods also. They are light and you can find some great deals on them when they go on sale. TFO will also replace the rod for $40 no matter what.

Just my thoughts
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia