Fresh water rods and inshore saltwater use

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
mjrodney
Supporter 2012

Fresh water rods and inshore saltwater use

Post by mjrodney »

How important is it to select a new inshore spinning rod (no reel) designated as "saltwater" over a similar spinning rod designated as "freshwater"?

My assumption is none, from a practical perspective, but I've been wrong before.

Assume a good wash down after each use.

My reels are saltwater types.

Thx for the help.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: Fresh water rods and inshore saltwater use

Post by krash »

None of my, inshore sized, rods and reels are not labelled salt vs fresh... I use what I like where I want, taking care to rinse well after each use.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

I heard it's a marketing term/ploy on rods
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Just a heads up...keep an eye out for this (scroll to bottom of page). However, they do seem to be good on their sending a new rod if need be. These are supposedly saltwater rods. I wash them down and shake off excessive fresh water after every use.

Lastly - I have a Penn Battle 2000. After 12 months the bottom was pretty corroded. I sent it in under the 1 year guarantee. They replaced the corroded component and serviced the reel for shipping costs - $7.95. The same piece is starting to corrode again - I've used it maybe 3-4 months. I'll try and send it back in after a couple few more months and see what they say. Course that's somewhat out of scope of the thread, but nevertheless someone may find it useful.

Here's a sample shot - not mine, but you get the idea. Seems lots of folks have the same issue. Just a question of time before it corrodes again.

JB