Do most of you carry a VHF radio?

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
paddln4reds

Do most of you carry a VHF radio?

Post by paddln4reds »

Just kind of curious. Well...really... I'm debating whether or not to purchase a handheld one. I carry my cell phone with me, so I'm not sure if investing in a VHF radio would be overkill? Maybe your responses will sway me one way or the other. :)

Please don't flame me if this topic has been pounded. :lol:
Rick

T140 Yellow
T120 Slate
T130 Mango
T130 Lime
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

After the Texas Tourney reports, I bought one and I do carry it with me. Haven't really used it other than the weather alerts (I turn that on when the skies start looking bad).

Recently, during a trip to the Keys, my daughter and I paddled to Bottle Key (a few miles off of Tarvernier). The weather (rain and wind) picked up and I wasn't sure my daughter would be able to make the paddle back. We made it back fine, but it was very reassuring to know I had a VHF on me. I would recommend buying one.
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
captjake

Post by captjake »

Yep...carry both every trip. You never know when the cell towers will not pick you up by the VHF will work or vice versa.

There are even a few people that carry a Cell Phone - VHF - and FRS. You can never be too safe out there. If you do get one, do yourself a favor and get one of the many submersible ones...you will thank yourself after is falls in the drink.

I have one of the newer submersible STANDARDS...work great never hade a problem. Charge the battery the night before and off I go...

http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.jsp?s ... 71F,84278F

Mine is the HX 260S...JAKE
May you all hear the 'rattle' of the mighty poon
o
o
o<'(()))><
rev

Post by rev »

I've got one...mainly use it to listen to the weather band. I've yet to talk to anyone over it.
JayB
Founder's Club

Post by JayB »

Check out the Uniden Voyager. It was on sale at Sam's for a while.

http://uniden.com/productpop/00_product ... de=VOYAGER
Rik

Post by Rik »

Ditto Jay's comment. Check Sam's, they don't always have them but they had the Voyagers for less than $100.

Pay attention to the waterproof rating. You want the JS something-7. That is fully submersed down to 10 feet for 30 minutes. If its that deep for that long, you've lost it anyway.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Ray H

Post by Ray H »

Yep. It's a great tool to have on the water. I also carry a cell phone and use it way more, but the VHF is nice to have with you on the water.
shallow minded II

Post by shallow minded II »

i am starting to take my uniden voyager VHF with me more all the time. it's kind of cool to listen to the NOAA weather reports (as well as kind of a smart thing to do) & to listen to the other marine traffic on the other channels. just be aware that that little radio will scare the crap out of ya when you are just kind of in a zone making cast after cast in a quite little creek when a "scanned" channel picks up a broadcast. turned that thing down. :lol: and don't forget the Highly Trained Expert look you will have when you walk by the folks on the beach with your VHF radio singing away. i think ch.11 is for the tampa bay harbor pilot transmissions with the freighters coming & going out of tampa bay.

i also sometimes carry and use a FRS radio, but it is not waterproof, so i have to be careful with that radio. usually i also pack along my cell & digital locked inside a "pelican" dry box just in case.
I always catch more & larger fish when I fish by myself. Stealth is the key.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

A great tool and the batteries last for days.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

There are even a few people that carry a Cell Phone - VHF - and FRS.
I'm one of them, the VHF doesn't usually get turned on unless someone else using one is around, but it's nice to know it's there. At a guess it's more reliable than a cel in the marine enviroment. I've lost cel signal more than once, but can generally raise someone on VHF. The FRS gets used if folks are around.

I generally turn off the cellphone when I put the boat in, that thing is like having a chain around my neck. At least I don't have a pager anymore :roll:
paddln4reds

Post by paddln4reds »

Hey...thanks for everyone's input and suggestions. Looks like I'm definitely in the market for one, now! :) I'll have to check on that Uniden Voyager at Sam's, because I saw that one in the Cabela's catalog for $200...under $100?...that sounds like a deal to me! :D Again, thanks for all the advice.
Rick

T140 Yellow
T120 Slate
T130 Mango
T130 Lime
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Got mine at Sam's less than a year ago. 89 bucks + tx.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

I like the Voyager too. Good little tool to have aboard. I keep mine in a small dry bag that you can still operate the radio in.
If you were ever left floating in a life jacket the cell phones and FRS wont be much help. I also like the fact that I could instantly reach nearby boats in case of an emergency.
I wish more kayakers keep them on while fishing, its always fun to hear that somebody is tearing them up in the spot you were going to go fishing at that morning.
Does anybody monitor a channel other that 16 while fishing?
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
paddln4reds

Post by paddln4reds »

Well...I've been holding out from buying a VHF, because I've been hoping to find the Voyager in Sam's Club for $100. I haven't seen it...in fact, I haven't even seen a handheld VHF in there. Has anyone come across them? I think I may just get the new Uniden MHS 350...it's a little larger, but a little cheaper, too.
Rick

T140 Yellow
T120 Slate
T130 Mango
T130 Lime
Ray H

Post by Ray H »

Haven't seen them there since they had a batch about a year ago. I look everytime i go in there, which is about 2-3 times per month. I was told they are occasionally available on E-Bay for a decent price.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

I watched and watched for them in Sams for months... Nothing. I finally got one when I was out in Arizona for about $140. Great radio.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"