Do most of you carry a VHF radio?

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

What is the official paddle fishing chanel on a vhf???
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
paddln4reds

Post by paddln4reds »

Well... broke down and bought the Uniden Voyager...good enough price $120. But, what this means is... the next time I'm in Sam's Club they'll have them on the shelves for $80. :?

So...what is the official channel? None? Then let's choose one. :)
Rick

T140 Yellow
T120 Slate
T130 Mango
T130 Lime
AKA Rod

Post by AKA Rod »

Yes I carry one.
I am too old to die young.
shallowrider

Post by shallowrider »

I've been thinking about getting a 2 meter hand held.You have to have a technician liscense to use it to chat on the repeaters. You don't have to have a liscense to buy one or listen to one. I think the liscense is $20 and $10 to renew every 10 years.But if you've got an emergency anyone can SOS on any frequency. Yaesu makes waterproof ones.Plus there are many repeaters in the Tampa area that you can switch to if your range is not good enough to contact certain repeaters.Repeaters extend your range through retransmission. There is a repeater in Hollywood that has over 100 mile retransmit range depending on conditions. All of the 2 meter hand held radios recieve the weather frequencies.I was looking for a link for the Icom one that is submersible but haven't found it yet.

Price range $129 for yaesu

http://www.texastowers.com/vx170.htm

You can find them other places. I posted the link only to show what it looks like and provide information about the radio. You can do a google search on the internet for other suppliers.
silentrunning

Post by silentrunning »

shallowrider, Be sure to get your ham radio license before you ever transmitt on two meters. The locals and the FCC take a very dim view of unlicensed operators. You can get up to a $5,000 fine for it. As far as ICOM or Yaesu- I think ICOM is the better handheld, but their batteries are crap. Go with Yaesu.

W4JDZ (Advanced Class)
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
shallowrider

Post by shallowrider »

silentrunning wrote:shallowrider, Be sure to get your ham radio license before you ever transmitt on two meters. The locals and the FCC take a very dim view of unlicensed operators. You can get up to a $5,000 fine for it. As far as ICOM or Yaesu- I think ICOM is the better handheld, but their batteries are crap. Go with Yaesu.

W4JDZ (Advanced Class)

I looked up your call and I've never talked with you before. I used to have 2 meter and 70centimeter set up. Do you? Right now I have nothing but antennas. I sold my 756 Pro. I might get the Icom 7000.

I already have my general. You missed what I said in my post. I said you need a technician lisence to use one and gave a price of what it would cost to get a lisence. It's good that you posted the information about the fine for not having a lisense and transmitting on the ham frequencies without it. I'm probably going to get a ht so I thought it would be a good idea to get the submersible one that Yaesu makes. I looked and looked for the information on the Icom to see if it was submersible and couldn't find anywhere that it said if it was or not. So I only posted about the yaesu one.

Thanks silentrunning
silentrunning

Post by silentrunning »

shallowrider, I am on 2 meters once in a while. My big thrill is qrp so I stick mostly to 10 meters. It has been dead for so long I wonder if this cycle is ever going to turn. By the way, what is your call? We could set up a sched on 2 if you want to.

W4JDZ
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
shallowrider

Post by shallowrider »

silentrunning I don't have any radios right now. Only antennas. I'll probably get that yaseu ht next month after the chokoloskee trip. I've got some radio equipment I'm looking to sell if your'e interested. I used to do all digital.Sometimes on 10 meters but mostly on 6,20,40 & 75/80 meters. Some high speed meteor scatter but rarely voice except on 2 meter and 440.I don't like giving my call out on public forums.I will private message it to you.
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

Yes... I don't leave home without it. Also I do a radio check as soon as I am away from the launch. Sea Tow or other tow service will give you a radio check. It is comforting to know you can communicate with someone should the need arise. Its great insurance.

Yes I carry a cell too but is not as easy to use..
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
newyaker

Post by newyaker »

Yes ,I carry one as well and my cell.
(Hobie fish Outfitter Tandem 08') Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown