Where is the best plac to live and Kayak Fish?

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
mcopilot

Where is the best plac to live and Kayak Fish?

Post by mcopilot »

Tell the best places to both live and kayak fish in your opinion, The area (specific) Please do not just say Florida. The type of Kayak you use and how often you fish.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: Where is the best plac to live and Kayak Fish?

Post by jbdba01 »

This is a pretty broad question - you may want to narrow it down; sounds liek you're trying to figure out where to go.

That said, for all around fishing you can't beat the keys. Just about every major gamefish is accessible at some point in the year and relatively quickly.

If you're looking for a metropolitan area I would have to go with Miami. That said, there's plenty of reasons I don't live there. Nice place to visit though.

Kayaking...I'm biased and like TPA. Lots of places to put in and it's a pretty good fishery. I live there.

If you're looking for size - "Go East young man".

I use both a sit on top (Islander - get something else, it's a good breakin boat) and a sit in (Wilderness Commander 12'). I also have a canoe that I use on occasion. And a powerboat - but that's outside the scope of the question. Given my druthers I like the Wilderness the most.

I try to fish once a week.
JB
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

jbdba01 wrote:This is a pretty broad question - you may want to narrow it down; sounds liek you're trying to figure out where to go.

If you're looking for a metropolitan area I would have to go with Miami. That said, there's plenty of reasons I don't live there. Nice place to visit though.
I would nix that suggestion for kayak fishing, power boat is a differnet story.. we have to drive 2 hours to most anywhere to have decent fishing. Sure fishing in the Miami area is OK, but nothing like inshore fishing anywhere else in Florida. Miami has few Redfish and you seldom see one caught, you can catch Bonefish if you know where and when but thats been pretty unpredictable since the freeze 2 years ago. The N. end of the Bay is laoded with Trout 12 to 21". The best inshore fishing is Flamingo, Choko, or up to Ft. Pierce area all a long boring drive.
Launch sites are very limited in Miami, "Posted No Tresspassing", unlike Tampa or north up in the IRL.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
godsmack481

Post by godsmack481 »

I will say I am not new to kayaking, but I am new to kayaking the areas I have been going. I used to have access to a kayak when my grandparents had their house in Taverneir. Now I have my own kayak I just bought about 2 weeks ago. However, my favorite fishing spot is Flamingo. As a kid my dad would run the boat from Taverneir all the way over there. I finally had my first run at Flamingo in a kayak and I had a lot of fun. I caught my first Red Fish, actually caught 3, my girlfriend caught 1, and all were released to fight another day.

As for my kayak I purchased an Ascend FS12 for myself is desert camo, and one in green camo for my girlfriend. I can cruise, fish, and be out all day in this thing. I have plenty of room, plenty of storage, and a lot of customizing opportunities, though I think I will keep it simple. Don't really need fish finders and all that extra stuff. I grew up having to figure things out on my own without any means of electronics to assist, just what I am used to.