Storing fish?

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
ItsFriday

Storing fish?

Post by ItsFriday »

So, I am working on outfitting my Malibu X Factor, and I was wondering what/how everyone stores, keeps cool, etc the fish they catch and decide to keep? A milk crate and small cooler in the rear storage well doesnt leave a lot of space there and the front hatch runs the length of the boat. So any insight would be greatly apreciated. However since I have seen sharks with in 15 yards of my kayak, a couple times I have been out, I am not interested in the stringer method. I just dont think it is a safe option.
"Hard work always beats talent, when talent doesnt work!" - Tim Tebow
Cajun Welder

Re: Storing fish?

Post by Cajun Welder »

I use the stringer method,I never see anything besides little black tips and bonnetheads but they still would leave a nasty bite.
Im glad I got a kayak to hold my stringer now instead of my shorts. :D
Rik

Post by Rik »

Sam's sells a cooler bag that looks like the one below for about $15. Holds a 28 inch red nicely. I put a couple 1 liter bottles of frozen water in it to keep it cool.

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Naughty, naughty, naughty.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

A little tip. For use with the cooler bag bring a small bag of ice with you and once your ready to put a fish in the bag add salt water and your catch will last all day.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
casper1

Storing fish?

Post by casper1 »

32" YakCatch attaches perfectly to the gator hatch on my Stealth 14. I think your yak has an identical hatch.
Dyongue

Post by Dyongue »

I use the same California Innovations bag above, about $8.50 at SAMs for a 56 can capacity. I 3 long thin 1qt 8oz Smart Water bottles I've frozen and they keep fish cool all day. Best of all the bag fits perfectly behind my seat and I don't even half to turn around to get it. My wife complained I should have bought two, so she could have one for her grocery shopping. These things advertise they keep ice for 48 hours. I believe it.

Hint: if you don't like the color, dig through all the boxes or else you may be a Flower Child. Good for the wife but open for jabs on the water!