Intro to Kayak Fishing

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
Topwater

Intro to Kayak Fishing

Post by Topwater »

Intro to Kayak Fishing

1. Wear your PFD! Wearing you PFD increases your chances of survival by a phenomenal rate. Have an "action plan" in place for various unexpected emergencies. Quick and ready access to your PFD (if you're not wearing it) should be instantaneous should you end up in the water.
A good rule is that if you are paddling wear the PFD. It cannot save your life if it is strapped under the bungi cords of your kayak. Another good idea is to get a paddle leash, this way your paddle will always stay with your kayak.

2. Never paddle alone! If you do, file a paddle plan describing where you intend to be and the time you expect to be off of the water. Give this to someone at home. Do this in writing so they will not forget. with a buddy always maintain visual contact with your fishing buddy.

3. Practice falling off of your kayak and self rescues. No matter how good of a kayaker you are it is sometimes humbling to fall off of your kayak and try to climb back on. Practice this in a controlled environment and under supervision. A good idea is to take a basic paddling skills class under a certified instructor. This class may also review ways to rescue your buddies if they fall off.

4. Carry some sort of communication, cell phone, as well as a submersible marine VHF radio. Compass and handheld GPS: A great couple of tools that can be very helpful in the event of an emergency or for finding your way back to your launch. The GPS and Flashlight can run low on you and having a spare pack of batteries for each should be standard practice.

5. Dress for the weather; exposure can happen in any kind of weather situation. Both cold and hot weather have their dangers, so don't take any chances and wear the proper attire. Sunscreen, sunglasses, and wide brimmed hat- Important items to reduce exposure.

6. Also carry plenty of drinking water to prevent dehydration. Even in cold weather, if you are dressed properly, you will sweat and have a chance to get dehydrated. First Aid-carry some general supplies that include but aren't limited to: Bandaging, peroxide, Neosporin and tape.

7. Carry proper safety equipment. At the minimum you should have a whistle, flashlight, knife, and a signal mirror. If you fish at night, a good 360 degree white light is a good idea. It should be located on the highest point possible, so other boaters can see you. Strobes, either red or white should only be used to indicate distress. An anchor: A good anchor to hold you in place is important. It can keep you from drifting into trouble areas and if rescue is required will keep you located in one precise location.

8. Just like any exercise, kayak fishing requires a certain amount of physical activity. So it is a good idea to check with you doctor as you would do before starting any exercise routine.

9. Use a landing tool such as a lip gripper to handle fish. This will allow for better control of the fish and you are less likely to get hooked, or worse, loosing your catch before the hero shot.

10. • Storms- Check weather forecasts before you go. The phrase "keep an eye to the sky" comes to mind. Watch for developing weather. Don't get caught in rough storms and high seas because you were ignorant of pop up storms.
• Other water craft- Keep an eye out for other craft bearing down on you (Action plan: Have that signaling device handy for this situation). A craft like a sailboat doesn't put off a lot of noise so you must take a look around you, particularly if you frequent areas where a lot of sailboat operators use the waters.
• Take a look down before you enter the water. Dismount onto a jagged oyster bar, stingray, bull shark or jellyfish may add unwanted excitement to your life.

Have fun, but please be safety conscious as well!

Be alert and aware, panic is a deadly killer.

Thanks NEIL for your contribution, to keep everyone safe.
Last edited by Topwater on Mon May 07, 2007 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When you're not teaching you're learning"
Jeff - Red - Manta Ray 12
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I vouge for the part of practicing re-entering the kayak from deep water, Mine went adrift a day and had to go for a swimafter it. Even though I found this quite easy for me personally, to get back in, I still practice, its good to continually do this to keep yourself ready.
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Thanks NEIL for your contribution, to keep everyone safe.
You're welcome Jeff. It's a great topic for everyone to review now and then but especially for the newbees to study before they hit the water.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
AllSkillBill

Post by AllSkillBill »

I'm curious about climbing back onto my kayak in deeper water... any pointers on how to do so, so that your junk doesn't fall out. Is there a techinique to this, lol.
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

AllSkillBill wrote:I'm curious about climbing back onto my kayak in deeper water... any pointers on how to do so, so that your junk doesn't fall out. Is there a techinique to this, lol.
I've heard that paddle leashes help out a lot in these cases.
While holding your paddle across your boat stick your foot in the loop left by your leash. Step up in the loop and slide over the hull.

One question I have is how do you fall out without your "junk" falling out with you. That must take skill. :lol:
Topwater

Post by Topwater »

from our friends at kayak fishing stuff: kayak reentry

http://kayakfishingstuff.com/articles_v ... rticles=55
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Good article Topwater..
One question I have is how do you fall out without your "junk" falling out with you.
That is the $64,000 question :!:
Anybody seen my GPS?? It's somewhere near Sawyer Key..I think.. :roll:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Topwater

Post by Topwater »

You cannot keep everything in your kayak but you can retrieve what does fall out.

Attach a piece of pool noodle with a short leash to any thing you do not want to loose. Use the same technique used for bogas. Test in a swimming pool to make sure it floats.
Or you could attach a line from the kayak to the items susceptible to falling out.
You may need to set up an attach point close to the items.

Your other alternative is to bring a snorkel and mask so you can go down and get it. :wink:
Earthmapper

Re: Intro to Kayak Fishing

Post by Earthmapper »

Excellent idea, topwater. I was just going to tether a milk crate in the back, and attach a line to all of my gear from there, but attaching bits of pool noodle sounds better. the biggest wrench for me is the thought of my tackle box popping open and expelling its contents.