What sort of light do you use?

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

What sort of light do you use?

Post by mauso1 »

When launching pre dawn or fishing at night Rules require that your kayak be lit. So what are the contraptions that you use?

Here's something that I have not seen before and with a little bit of pvc and some ingenuity could very well be a serviceable unit.
http://www.jazebra.com/glo-toob-fx-led- ... gQoddzLFQw
Although the white ones are outta stock they also are available on ebay..search glo toob.
I might just get a white one to try it out ..80 hr battery life or so they say.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

http://www.amazon.com/ACR-C-Light-Vest- ... 05&sr=8-47

The C-Light is a must for offshore boaters. Attach one to every PFD on board! The lens simultaneously focuses a beam of light in a single beam while emitting a ring of light all-around. The intense incandescent light is visible for up to 2 miles(3.2 km) and has an operational life of more than 8 hours of continuous use at 30 degrees F (-1 degrees.C). The slim, lightweight(only 2.6 oz.) design is contructed of rugged, impact and temperature resistant ABS plastic and measures only 6'' x 1.6''. The international orange waterproof and corrosion resistant case features a twist ON-OFF control which can be operated by gloved hands in adverse conditions. The light comes with an adjustable velcro strap and can be mounted on a bicycle frame or pole as well as a life jacket. Operates on 2 AA alkaline or 2 AA 1.5V lithium batteries. 1 year Limited Warranty.

This light is also available with a mount for kayaks...
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
Hornetbear

Post by Hornetbear »

LED Headlamp. 9.99 @ wallyworld. I also have a little red light on my keychain.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

LED Headlamp. 9.99 @ wallyworld. I also have a little red light on my keychain.
I have one of those..works well when launching in the dark .
I was asking about what lights are used that mount to the kayak that actually would pass legal inspection. I think it must need to be something that passes the 360 degree rule.
Can anybody quote the legal requirements?

The C-Light
I never thought about attaching with velcro..
Brilliant!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

I believe the only legal requirement for a kayak is a flash light but I think I would definitely use some type of 360 for night fishing.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I have a Wally world clamp on stern light. I removed the clamp from the mounting pole and adapted a Scotty rod mount that's right behind my seat. I can still use the rod holder in the daytime. I think the stern light cost me $9, it uses 2 D cell batteries. I guess if I want to upgrade I could buy a Scotty light but I already had the stern light and no other use for it.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Sundancer

The Coast Guard regs

Post by Sundancer »

From http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/cour ... /4_2_b.php

Sailing vessels less than 7 meters may carry an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light to be displayed in sufficient time to prevent collision...
Vessels under oars may display the lights prescribed for sailing vessels, but if not, must have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light to be displayed in sufficient time to prevent collision

Anchored Vessels
Power driven vessels and sailing vessels at anchor must display anchor lights. An anchor light for a vessel less than 50 meters in length is an all-around white light visible for 2 miles exhibited where it can best be seen.

-----
A simple flashlight is all you really need. When I was in the CG that's all we required from rowboats and the small Hobie Cats we were always called out to help upright :lol:
If you are going to anchor then I would go with one of those little battery powered camping lanterns. A little adhesive-backed velcro holds good. I have heard of someone using a solar powered walkway light but I don't think that could be seen from 2 miles event with night vision goggles.
Lemon Bay Drifter

Re: What sort of light do you use?

Post by Lemon Bay Drifter »

I use a pvc pipe long enough to be over my head height attached to my create behind me. I put a solar powered lawn light in it. The light covers 360 and burns all night for a one time cost of about $5.00.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Paddle-Fishing.com sponsor and his products are sold at another paddle-fishing.com sponsor. How can you lose by supporting these guys? I will have several of their products as prizes in the PFTS this year.

http://www.customsafetylight.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Re:

Post by Rik »

mauso1 wrote:I was asking about what lights are used that mount to the kayak that actually would pass legal inspection. I think it must need to be something that passes the 360 degree rule.
A light that can be visible from one mile that you can turn on in time to avoid a collision. Basically, a good flashlight or headlamp.

Now here's something I just found out. If you are in "coastal waters" you are required to have Visual Distress Signals (VDS) commonly known as flares.

"Coastal waters are the Atlantic Ocean, Gulf of Mexico and all bays, sounds, harbors, rivers, inlets, etc., where any entrance is over two miles wide to the first point where the distance between shorelines narrows to two miles."

The mouth of Tampa Bay meets that 'over two miles'. Basically kayaking anywhere along the south shore at night would require flares.

And so would kayaking off the beach when it is dark.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
FLfishchaser

Post by FLfishchaser »

Check out the ACR C-Light. waterproof and visable for 2 miles. $11.99 at West Marine.
http://ecatalog.westmarine.com/full.asp?page=186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

[quote="FLfishchaser"]Check out the ACR C-Light. waterproof and visable for 2 miles. $11.99 at West Marine.
http://ecatalog.westmarine.com/full.asp?page=186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

FYI ACR POS IMO
FLfishchaser

Post by FLfishchaser »

[quote="Uncle Tommy"][quote="FLfishchaser"]Check out the ACR C-Light. waterproof and visable for 2 miles. $11.99 at West Marine.
http://ecatalog.westmarine.com/full.asp?page=186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

FYI ACR POS IMO[/quote]

Very informative.
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

Do you have one, mate?
FLfishchaser

Post by FLfishchaser »

[quote="Uncle Tommy"]Do you have one, mate?[/quote]
I have one and have had no problems with it. It would be nice to hear what problems you had with your other than its a POS.
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

I don't mind if a light eats batteries as long as it's bright.

I've had two and neither was visible for "up to 2 miles"

Perhaps POS was a tad harsh. Didn't mean to offend. Just my opinion and I could be wrong. Next round's on me.