Anyone using Jim Teeny flyline made for kayak fishing?

UltimateBobWPB

Anyone using Jim Teeny flyline made for kayak fishing?

Post by UltimateBobWPB »

Anyone familiar with this flyline - Jim Teeny 8wt saltwater kayak flyline -(http://www.burfish.com/catalog/jt-kayak.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) or any suggestion for a good wf8f line. Mostly fish inshore.
Thanks
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: Anyone using Jim Teeny flyline made for kayak fishing?

Post by ChrisR »

I just put it on one of my 8 weights. I haven't spent too much time with it, but my initial impression wasn't great. It seems to be heavy and awkward to me. It isn't tough to make a long cast with it, but shorter casts, especially soft casts, are mored difficult. I have a hard time landing it softly inside of 35-40 feet.

My preference for an 8 weight line is a Wulf Burmuda Triangle Taper.
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Haven't used the Jim Teeny line, but I can't imagine developing one for just kayak fishing. I use a SA Mastery Redfish line that has a relatively short head so you can get casts out quick with minimal backcast.

The Redfish line has a 21 foot belly and 4 foot front taper, while the Jim Teeny line appears to have a 35 foot belly with a 5 foot front taper (similar to a standard WF line). It is probably a matter of preference, but from a kayak, I would rather have a shorter head so I can load the rod with less line out. Capt. Pat Horrigan, who designed it, is from Hudson, so maybe he can chime in.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Evan

Post by Evan »

Much depends on the particular flyrod the line is paired with. I bought an 8wt Airflo Striper line for winter time that I initially hated...until I tried it on my old Scott STS 8wt...the combination was almost magical. Just saying that evaluating the line alone isn't enough. But like Chris says, landing an accurate, quiet cast in the 35-40 foot range is FAR more important than being able to lay out a long cast.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion