Fly Fishing for Carp

Gibby3474

Fly Fishing for Carp

Post by Gibby3474 »

While this wasn't kayak fishing, it could have been. Anyway, I'm sure some people here will be interested.

Just got back from Traverse City, Mich. Second time I've visited there to fly fish for giant carp on the shallow flats of Grand Traverse Bay. Both times have been memorable with loads of fish.

I first found out about fly fishing for carp when I was fishing with Lefty Kreh about 20 years ago. He told me it was lots of fun and challenging. Lefty said he and Bob Clouser started fly fishing for carp on the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania.

I read about Grand Traverse Bay carp fishing and began researching it prior to a trip four years ago. I found out what tackle and flies I needed and where to go. I'll never forget that when I walked down to the bay that I was greeted by literally hundreds of big carp.

The carp hit the shallows in June. Their purpose is to spawn. With that in mind, it's advisable to ignore the large schools. They're interesting only in spawning. You want to target the singles -- and there will be plenty of them.

You should use a 7- or 8-weight fly rod, with a floating line and 9-foot, 10-pound leader.

Crawfish flies are recommended -- and they work well. However, I caught many fish on No. 6 brown, beadhead Wooly Buggers.

This is sight-fishing at it's best. And the water is clear and no more than knee deep. The bottom in firm, light sand.

I can't tell you how many carp I caught over my three days of fishing this year. I would guess in excess of 50. And very few of the carp weighed less than 20 pounds. I estimated my biggest at 35.

I also caught a bunch of smallmouth bass on the same flies.

Carp are very strong fighters and make long, speedy runs. You'll need a reel with plenty of backing. They remind me very much of our redfish. They resemble a redfish in the water, but fight a little better.

There are a couple of local fly shops on the main drag in Traverse City. I like The Northern Angler (http://www.thenorthernangler.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) owned by Brian Pitser. There's also Streamside Orvis (http://www.streamsideorvis.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Both shops offer guide services.

Accomodations and restaurants are plentiful.

I highly recommend this trip if you're interested in fly fishing.

The beautiful carp flats:

Spawners:

Single:

Fish on:

My largest:

Smallmouth:

Steve
www.kayakfishingsarasota.com
http://gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com/
NuCanoe Pursuit
NuCanoe Pro Staff
Aqua-Bound Pro Staff
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Fly Fishing for Carp

Post by DaveR »

Thanks Steve. Great read. Bucket list!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

VVery interesting and very interested
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

I am in. Very cool.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Is it something you can do without the need for a Guide and a Boat? are boats available for rent?

I'm very interested always looking for a new trip, this would be a blast i know how hard Carp fight from catching them back home in the UK. Funny when I first came here I likened redfish to Carp, for the way they run and fight. I think pound for pound a Redfish outpulls a carp, but then I've yet to catch a 35lb redfish or carp
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Gibby3474

Post by Gibby3474 »

No boat required. Guides are available at the local fly shop, but I'm not sure you need one.
Steve
www.kayakfishingsarasota.com
http://gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com/
NuCanoe Pursuit
NuCanoe Pro Staff
Aqua-Bound Pro Staff
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Sweet, i think I will try and head up there next June