Fly Rod Info

SnookBait

Fly Rod Info

Post by SnookBait »

Never really Fly fished before but I always had an interest in the art. My boss came into the office today and she told me she just moved into a new condo and the previous owner left a fly rod in the case. She gave it to me. Its nothing fancy. Its a South Bend Finesse F-697 Line Wt. 9-10. Its a 2 piece 9' rod. Cant really find any saltwater reviews on this so I thought i'd post this topic. If its a 9-10wt line does this mean I can target Spec. Trout and Redfish? Any information would be great. I might start using it.
noles

Re: Fly Rod Info

Post by noles »

Don't waste your time trying to find a review on the combo. Get some flies and get them wet. Rod should handle anything from trout to snook. Have fun with it.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Have fun with it.
But its an evil buggy whip he'll spend the rest of his days trying to make a perfect cast.
0 0 1
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I started fly fishing with a spin/fly combo rod that was given out as a promotion for Marlboro. I had great fun with it and actually caught some fish. I made a deal with the wife, if I caught a redfish with it, I would go out and buy a real fly rod (ended up being a Scott SAS).

Anyway, what you have isn't much, I think is was sold at Walmart and there are some on Amazon.com. It is soft and heavy, but it will throw a line and catch fish. Just remember, there are better (and more expensive) things ahead.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
SnookBait

Post by SnookBait »

I was playing around with it in the back yard last night. My girlfriend already caught me on a few sites looking at combos well into the hundreds. Thanks for the info guys. I might have a new addicition. Everyone have a safe holiday weekend.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Save yourself some pain and anguish that's destined to come your way once you take up fly fishing, dump the girlfriend now ツ
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

John wrote:Save yourself some pain and anguish that's destined to come your way once you take up fly fishing, dump the girlfriend now ツ
Best advise given on this forum in many years. :lol:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

You will have to excuse John's comment.

Make sure she is not independently wealthy first. Combos costing well in to the hundreds and all... ;)
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch