Question about a 6 weight rod

UltimateBobWPB

Question about a 6 weight rod

Post by UltimateBobWPB »

I'm looking to add a 6 weight rod to the 8 weight rod I now own, The 8 is for saltwater and would like to get the 6 for fooling around in some local freshwater ponds. The question is should I go even lower to a 4-5 weight? I found an Orvis Rocky Mountian fly rod, 6 #, 8'6' long on Craig's List for $50 and if it looks good I'll pick it up. I'm gonna use the TFO NTX reel I have now and re-rig with a 6 weight weight forward line. Then buy a Okuma Integrity "a" Series Large Arbor Reels for the 8 weight rod. ANY THOUGHTS?
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Question about a 6 weight rod

Post by DaveR »

I'm no expert but unless you are fishing heavy cover I would go down a bit more. I have a 5 and for pond stuff wish I had a 3 or 4.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Hillbilly
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by Hillbilly »

More and more people seem to be going to the 6wt for Saltwater, but it is a good Largemouth Bass size of Rod. I use a 6wt for almost all of my Saltwater, and at 8'6" it would be nice under trees and will still throw bigger flies. Musky fisher folk use 10wt exclusively, but are throwing "half a chicken!"
Panfish and Freshwater Trout on a 3-4wt are more "delicate" and responsive, but $50.00 might be a really good deal for an all around Rod! Catch Bass one day and Sea Trout the next without changing Rods?
Ask yourself how big are the flies you plan to throw on these ponds. Larger flies need heavier lines!
Disclaimer: I am a member of the "I have too many rods anonymous group".
Tempted and Tried by a Fine pair of Legs
Likewise Enticed by Over Easy Eggs
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I am going through the same thought pattern....I have a good 8wt set up but sold my 6wt couple years ago wish I hadn't......I spent 3 hrs this past sat at TBOF tossing(no pun intended) around between 4wt, 5wt,and 6wt rods and setups......The question you have to ask your self is "What am I going to use the rod for the most"?????I am heading up to Pa to do some mountain stream fishing in June so I was origionely looking for the 4wt.....I mainly fish SW and at times my 8wt gets to be too much so the 6wt was my choice, for the ponds and streams I will continue to look for the 4wt and may go with the TFO ProII.......Enver(owner of TBOF) had a interesting suggestion to save a few $$$$$ buy the 4-5-6 reel and change spools from the 6 to the 4 as needed...... Ideally you need three sizes to cove the gamete be it 3wt 5wt 7wt or 4wt 6wt 8wt......and 10wt or 12wt for Tarpon and large game fish.......PS if the 6wt looks good at $50.00 buy it.........Oh well it's time to head to the water.....Good Luck.......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
UltimateBobWPB

Post by UltimateBobWPB »

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I picked up the 6 weight cause it fits the bill at the right price. Being new at fly fishing it's hard to make decisions without some trial & error or success. Time will tell and I'll pass along my experience at some point.
Hey Hillbill when do those groups meet and do they have coffee and donut? And Joe loved the suggestion about the multiple spools. I think my TFO NFX reel would be adaptable for those various sizes for now.