Mr. Toads Wild Ride

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Mr. Toads Wild Ride

Post by DaveR »

Going for a ride with the toad tomorrow. Wind finder says I can. We'll see.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Mr. Toads Wild Ride

Post by DaveR »

Well wild it wasn't but fairly productive it was. Conditions started out near perfect. Tide and wind was on my side.
Wasn't long before I saw the small disturbance along the shore's edge that told met here was a predator on the prowl. Mr Toad was anxious for a swim so ablidge him I did and soon the fight was on. To my surprise it was a snook posing as a redfish that was first to grace my tippet this morning.
Not huge but any fish sight fished is a good one in Mr Toad's house. Away the snook went in search of something more palatable and I went looking for more predators. Despite near perfect tidal and wind conditions it was quite a while before I spied another target. A good sized redfish nosing around in not 8" of water in the back of a secluded cove. I sat down and tried to present as low a silhouette as I could as I inched toward the fish. As I got into casting range the fish changed direction and headed right for me. Not the, oh shit I spooked her type travel, just a headlong, I'm done with this cove kinda travel that put it with an intercept with me. A better angler may have had another end of this chapter but the ending you have to read here is she got about 3 feet from me and bee lined to distant feeding grounds.
I kinda liked the look of this cove so I staked out to watch a bit and enjoy my Hondouran smoke which by this time has reached it's peak. Out of the corner of my eye another ripple.
Now this honey hole ain't known for its clear water. In fact it's down right muddy. Always. If you can see a foot into it you got eagle vision. I'd like to tell you that my new Ocean Waves are X-ray and you can see 10 feet into cousin Eddie's septic tank but that ain't so. What I will tell ya is that they did let me see the shadow of the fish that made the aforementioned ripple. A redfish it was and Mr Toad and the redfish soon met.
A dozen spots on this fella.
Other than a missed hook set that needs no further visit, the rest of the morning was uneventful. And ya know what? That's OK.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

FIHJ.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I am no ingrate sir.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

Well done, sir, and well told!
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

You sure did better than I did this morning.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Sorry Steve. Gotta get this redfishing in now. Before long I'll be married to Windfinder and my fishin hole will be a couple hundred feet off the beach for a couple months!

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Very nice Dave :cool:. I'm jealous!
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Don't be jealous Dustin. Go fishing! You're so damned good at it it's a waste if you don't!

"SANCTUARY!!!"