Tarpon Flies

HeavyD

Tarpon Flies

Post by HeavyD »

Question for the tarpon fly fishermen. I am looking to just have a small selection of flies. If you had to and only could pick 3 different fly patterns to carry with you pursueing tarpon, what would they be? What sizes and colors if they are multiple colors with same pattern? I just got rid of hundreds and hundreds of flies and only want a small but proven box. I almost got completely out of fly fishing but decided to have 3 outfits, my 5wt freshwater rig, a 7/8 wt. flats and large freswater rig and then my 12 wt. tarpon/shark rig. I have never taken a tarpon on the fly and would like too.
There are no limits, except for the ones we put on ourselves.

Practice catch and release
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Tarpon Flies

Post by DaveR »

Cockroach, black death, cockroach.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Depends on where and when you are fishing. No way 3 flies can cover all the bases.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

If you're good they do. :rr:

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

BearsFan wrote: No way 3 flies can cover all the bases.
If they are pretty flies they can.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
HeavyD

Post by HeavyD »

BearsFan wrote:Depends on where and when you are fishing. No way 3 flies can cover all the bases.
Sure they could, i am not looking for absolute just thoughts. Lures and flies are made to catch fishermen more than fish. Just look at all the colors soft plastics come in for example DARTs while there are tons of colors, a person could have just gold and catch fish about anywhere at any time.
There are no limits, except for the ones we put on ourselves.

Practice catch and release
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

HeavyD wrote:
BearsFan wrote:Lures and flies are made to catch fishermen more than fish.
This is a common quote, but it should read they are made to catch "amateurs". Most of the fishermen I am acquanted with know what works and what doesn't, regardless of what it looks like.

Anyway, I think you can pick three flies that are most likely to work in any situation, even though they are not perfect for every situation. It is sometimes what flies you have most confidence in. If you don't have confidence in a fly (or lure) I don't think you will do well even if it is the perfect fly.

If I were going tarpon fishing I would have a tarpon toad, a cockroach and a tarpon bunny.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Obviously all of my tarpon flies are pretty. That being said, there is no way most people can be successful with patterns for one location while fishing in another. The fish react to and eat flies different in every location. They call them "local patterns" for a reason.

So, take your boxes of a dozen of each of whatever on your next tarpon trip. But be ready to put them back in the box and throw it overboard when you get sick of not catching fish and tie on the fly the guide recommended 5 hours earlier.

Just sayin'.

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch