tying?

DoubleM

tying?

Post by DoubleM »

I have but not for long. Just got a vice for Christmas and have been enjoying it. Recently I was trying some shrimp patterns, hoping to test soon. Tried the craft shrimp and a variation on the p-f favorite cooknshrimp. And a articfox crab :) Fun times. Hey, who's mustard is that?! Image

What are you tying?
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Wuluf

Re: tying?

Post by Wuluf »

Sweet! Last fly I tied was a schminnow.
Wuluf
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Schminnow looks like a good snook fly. I tied some all white ones too.

BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Been lazy lately. Back to the vise!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Pretty fly BF, I see the tail is bunny, what's the body made of?

Rik

Post by Rik »

There's good looking flies and there are flies that catch fish. They are not always the same.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Body is deer.

This pic is from Monday.

Same pattern in olive, from sometime in may.

Just another pretty fly...

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Damn, where you catching the Stripers? nice fish, nice fly!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

We have a small native population up here, really only a viable option in the cold months when they feed in the salt estuaries. In the spring they follow spawning bait fish up the rivers and feed heavily. In the warm months they remain dormant in the cold of the deep pools. A study I read said that they lose between 30% and 70% of their body weight over the summer. They return to the estuaries to feed in early winter. Remarkable fish.

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

"just another pretty fly"
Ooooh, that smarts.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

So where are you at BF, I'd love to try and take a Striper off my Wish list and put it on my Fish List!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

John wrote:So where are you at BF, I'd love to try and take a Striper off my Wish list and put it on my Fish List!
I am guessing the Apalachicola River south of Lake Talquin in Tallahassee....we used to get them there before the 1997 drawdown....I heard they have come back......MTL that fish was taken south of the Dam......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Not there but within 50 miles or so.

John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Ok, I thought you lived on the Est coast for some reason, didn't realise you were up in Tallahassee, I am up that way every once in a while for work.

nice work mate!
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Holy Cow, have you ever heard of the fly tyers dungeon? No it's not a tight loop inspired S&M video, it's a guy in Montana's business. http://www.flytyersdungeon.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's hard to support local shops when this guy exists. Check out this package I got for $28 w/ shipping..
The bottom row is all fiber. The top lefts are flash and top right is a marabou replacement that kinda looks like marabou w/ flash. Me happy.

Hopefully making it to the fort on Sunday to prefish and test some new top secret fiber jigs :cool: