Winter lines?

DoubleM

Winter lines?

Post by DoubleM »

Do you switch out of the tropical line during the winter? I've been leaning towards it. Anyone using an intermediate tip? If so, how's that working out? I was checking out the Rio StreamerTip and the 9.5' clear tip 1.5 to 2 ips sounds promising..
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Dustin

Re: Winter lines?

Post by Dustin »

Yep. I switch from the Wulff Bermuda TT to the regular TT.
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I break out the sink tip lines this time of year. I don't use them exclusively, but its about the only time of year that I do use them. I've never had a huge problem using tropical lines during winter. It can be a bit questionable early in the morning, but usually once the sun gets up a little bit, it isn't too big of a deal for me.
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I use sink tip lines in the winter a lot of the time, however, on my 6wts, I used a standard floating line because I have one. On the 8wt's I use my tropical weight floating lines and have had no problems. Can't see buying a standard floating line if the tropical weights are working OK.

I like the clear sink tip lines because I use relatively short (5 foot), 20# fluorocarbon leaders with a 18" 12# fluorocarbon tippet. Fluorocarbon works better with sink tip lined since it sinks.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?