Red on fly - a New quest

John
Guv'ner

Red on fly - a New quest

Post by John »

Decided to try for a new quest this year, a sight fished Redfish on fly.

Went out yesterday evening for my first attempt to take advantage of the the Major Sunset Solunar, first thing I found out is I need a lot of casting practice it's been over a year since I broke out the fly tackle and I was very very rusty.
Saw some reds cruising the shoreline with their back and tail tips out of the water and spooked everyone one of them with clumsy casting. Same thing with the two that were tailing so time for a rethink, obviously casting at fish was not going to work, so a new approach was needed, I switched fly to a white deer hair and marabou slider and waded up close to an oyster bar that was just under the surface and covered in activity.

There were mullet, ladyfish and reds all over the edges of the bar, I saw two reds cruising in front of me juts off to the left, so I cast the fly out well ahead of them and just let it sit, as they came closer I made two short strips and BOOM! fish on! He didn't know he was hooked and just continued swimming at a very slow pace, then as the bend in the rod began to build he woke up and soon had me to the reel, he was never going to take me to the backing but it was a great fight on the 7Wt rod.

First Red on Fly, mission accomplished he was about a 22" fish not huge but very welcome and enough to keep me sticking with the fly rod. For sure had I been fishing spinning gear I would have more success, but that one fish was enough to make my trip.

Now to go get me a DaveR sized Red on fly, that will be the real challenge!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
JoeS

Re: Red on fly - a New quest

Post by JoeS »

Congrats... WTG John....Very Nice indeed.......Once I get back on the water(Monday I hope after 3 months) I am going to solely concentrate on the Buggy Whip, other than the PFTS's....... :wink: :wink:
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Friggin DaveR Wannabe :roll: :lol:

Nice work JFA.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Who doesn't want to be DaveR he's a friggin Leg-end!!!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Terrific mate! Nothin like it is there?! You did in one outing what took me a seemed eternity!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

Well in, Sir! Once I get this Tarpon Fever cleared up, I'll be dedicating the 'tween time to the fairy wand. Perapre to be boarded!
Please, call me Kate
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Stay out of my Harbah!
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Defend against interlopers!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

It's alright I've told the fishes to stay away from Irishmen, with the stank of bait on them
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

Duuuuuude!
Nice work. give me a shout next time or I'll shoot bottle rockets at u from my dock! :lol:
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Thanks Jeff, just got lucky, really lucky.