Danvise Yay or Nay?

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Danvise Yay or Nay?

Post by DaveR »

First hand experience with the above mentioned tool?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Danvise Yay or Nay?

Post by Rik »

Yay.

Yes you can buy better but that applies to almost anything.

The jaws hold great if you follow the instructions. If you don't, you'll break them.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Re: Danvise Yay or Nay?

Post by BigFlyReel »

Used one for a while. Didn't like what for me was a "cheap plastic" feel. Also, several that I sold (at the Orvis shop) were returned because of problems with a "hitch" in the rotation. Company shrugged and said "We don't know". Another issue I had was the arm was really too short and placed the jaws very tight to the body of the vise, especially for bigger saltwater flies. They make (or used to make) an arm extension.

You din't ask about other vises, but I'll answer anyway. I have three or four Regals. They're nice and work great for flipping the fly over to look at or work on the bottom/other side. They rotate, but they're not really rotary. The go-to vise is a Griffin Mongoose. I have used it for everything from #26 Chocolate Duns to 5/0 billfish and tuna flies. I spent the couple extra bucks and got the cam-lock jaws.
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

What draws me is the sub hundred buck price point.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

DaveR wrote:What draws me is the sub hundred buck price point.
Understood - and you'll be getting your money's worth. Have you played with one at all, to see how it feels? Bottom line, you can hold a hook with an alligator clip. Anything more than that is for style, comfort and convenience.
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
rev

Post by rev »

Used one for years. It was fine. Still have it. Only issue I had was that it was hard to get it to hold onto hooks under heavy tension, like spinning deer hair, and I'd rather have a pedestal than a clamp (yes, you can find pedestals for the Danvise, but still...). Dynaking I have now is mo betta.
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I have one and am pretty happy with it. I'm sure there are better out there, but for the price it gets two thumbs up from me. If ever I decide to upgrade, it will be the Renzetti Traveler.
spug

Post by spug »

You can get a Renzetti Apprentice vise for like $99. It is twice the vise for the money. I've used both. Also ckeck out the Griffin Spider. Pretty cool for the money, man. My buddy has one and it's not bad at all. They are a great company to deal with also!
http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/im ... spider.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/vises.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Do not ... I repeat do not buy the vise in the first link. I have one (The Odyssey) and hate it. Not the whole vise. But take a look at those thumb nuts and O-rings that put the tension on the rotary action. What a pain in the ass!

I'll be modifying mine before I use it again. It will work like a "Peak" when I'm through with it.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Yay
H2F

Post by H2F »

I use to tie production streamers and have a HMH....and still use that same vise. I like it because it's clean in profile and I'm use to it....I have no idea what model it is I've had it so long, but I think I paid somewhere in the ballpark of 250 for it...it has the bigger head for larger hooks. I like it because I'm heavy handed and it holds hooks really well. It also is a rotary which I feel is important. Much like high end reels, it's a situation thing. If your comfortable with it, it's good.