Ethics question

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Ethics question

Post by DaveR »

I fancy going back to the fly rod this year for tarpon but don't have anything heavier than an 8wt. Pretty sure I can throw the cockroach I used with it but I'll have to try it out.
So here's the question. With the barb mashed and a very light tippet, 12lb or so, is it not playing nice to use this rig? I have no illusions or want of landing any. Just a couple jumps and a break off.
Your thoughts.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: Ethics question

Post by Todd »

Go for it, lots of yahoos out there that do far worse to the fish.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
X-Capt Bill

Post by X-Capt Bill »

Dont use stainless hooks. Bronze will rust out faster.
XCB
noles

Post by noles »

DaveR wrote:I fancy going back to the fly rod this year for tarpon but don't have anything heavier than an 8wt. Pretty sure I can throw the cockroach I used with it but I'll have to try it out.
So here's the question. With the barb mashed and a very light tippet, 12lb or so, is it not playing nice to use this rig? I have no illusions or want of landing any. Just a couple jumps and a break off.
Your thoughts.
I have a spare 10/11 wt with your name on it. If you break it, I know a guy who fixes rods. :lol:
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

EVEN BETTER!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
rev

Post by rev »

A real legend would land the fish on the 8wt in 20 minutes.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

I heard it took him 50 years to land a red on an 8wt, that is legend status.

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I personally have a problem with intentionally leaving any fish with the hook, be it a fly hook or not.
Just doesn't sit right with me, to go out and chase fish with the intent of breaking them off and leaving them with something that could cause them issues later.
Use the 11Wt and land them, if a newbie were on here saying they had the idea of using an 8wt for Tarpon and breaking the fish off, he'd be berated so hard as he'd never come back!

Just Sayin'
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I tend to agree, never intentially hook a fish you have no chance of landing. Although you assume you will just break it off when you feel like it, there is always a chance that something will go wrong and you end up with a busted 8wt.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Snook712

Post by Snook712 »

John wrote:I personally have a problem with intentionally leaving any fish with the hook, be it a fly hook or not.
Just doesn't sit right with me, to go out and chase fish with the intent of breaking them off and leaving them with something that could cause them issues later.
Use the 11Wt and land them, if a newbie were on here saying they had the idea of using an 8wt for Tarpon and breaking the fish off, he'd be berated so hard as he'd never come back!

Just Sayin'
I would respecfully disagree. Fighting a fish to the boat will stress them much more than a couple of jumps and a hook in their mouth. The hook will not hamper their feeding and will be gone in days. A thirty minute or more battle leaves tarpon weak and easy prey for sharks. It is hard enough to put sufficient pressure on a large fish to whip them quickly but almost impossible in a kayak. It is also very hard to revive them in a kayak unless you have some sort of peddle drive to get the water flowing.

Another idea is to cut the hook off right behind the barb. I have jumped a lot of tarpon on large mirrolures with the hooks trimmed. You get a good take and a jump or two and even get your plug back.
Hooked on Youth Fishing Team - Sponsored by Cat Crap Lip Balm
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Just Sayin'[/quote]

I would respecfully disagree. Fighting a fish to the boat will stress them much more than a couple of jumps and a hook in their mouth. The hook will not hamper their feeding and will be gone in days. A thirty minute or more battle leaves tarpon weak and easy prey for sharks. It is hard enough to put sufficient pressure on a large fish to whip them quickly but almost impossible in a kayak. It is also very hard to revive them in a kayak unless you have some sort of peddle drive to get the water flowing.Another idea is to cut the hook off right behind the barb. I have jumped a lot of tarpon on large mirrolures with the hooks trimmed. You get a good take and a jump or two and even get your plug back.[/quote]

I respectfully disagree with you sir, I would say its probably easier to whip a fish in a kayak, as in reality you are pulling the kayak to the fish not the other way around, there are many folks on here who've whipped them in less than 30 minutes.
As for reviving, that is also done fairly easy with your buddy pulling your kayak as you hold the fish. And if you're fishing for tarpon from a kayak, you need to have a buddy with you.

As for the hook being gone in days, how many days will it take, here's an en experiment we should all try, put a Tarpon hook in a bucket of saltwater and see how it takes to disolve or rust out, much longer than what we percieve.

I still have a problem with intentionally setting out to leave a hook in a fish, that's my own ethical stand point.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I have to agree with John on this one. The issue is whether you should use an 8wt to fish for large tarpon. Your arguement seems to be that it is OK to use an 8wt because it is better to cut the fish off after a few jumps than to land it. This makes no sense to me. It is always better to land a fish as quickly as possible using the proper equipment. In the case of tarpon, an 11wt+. If you have no intention in trying to land the fish, you shouldn't be trying to hook it in the first place.

Also, could you cite your source that the hook will be gone in a few days. The only study I've seen found hooks of the type use for tarpon are still intact after 21 days when the study ended and likely lasted much longer.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Snook712

Post by Snook712 »

I never advocated using an 8 wt rather than a heavier rod if you are targeting tarpon. I was just responding to the original question and the following discussion. I can tell you if I only have an 8 wt and have a shot at some tarpon, I will take it with the idea of breaking them off. Over the years I have seen lots of tarpon get eaten during or after a fight and have also seen many that could not be revived. I would rather see a fresh fish swim off with a hook in the jaw than see one too whipped to recover.

I guess each of us has to set our own standards and follow them.
Hooked on Youth Fishing Team - Sponsored by Cat Crap Lip Balm
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Thanks All for the responses. Roger, I have caught quite a few tarpon, from the kayak with many exceeding 100 pounds. With proper tackle the fight rarely lasts 30 minutes and we have resuscitation down to a science. Your concern for the welfare of the fish is to be applauded and know that that is foremost in my mind as well. I have been fortunate that I have not had to deal with shark encounters but I know that eventually that card will be delt.
Noles has rescued me from my quandary and my original question now appears mute. Again, thanks to all and have a safe and productive season!

"SANCTUARY!!!"

BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

DaveR wrote:Thanks All for the responses. Roger, I have caught quite a few tarpon, from the kayak with many exceeding 100 pounds. With proper tackle the fight rarely lasts 30 minutes and we have resuscitation down to a science. Your concern for the welfare of the fish is to be applauded and know that that is foremost in my mind as well. I have been fortunate that I have not had to deal with shark encounters but I know that eventually that card will be delt.
Noles has rescued me from my quandary and my original question now appears mute. Again, thanks to all and have a safe and productive season!
Who are you and what did you do with DaveR? here..mayB this will get u gioing
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009