Educate me

ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Educate me

Post by ChrisR »

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Old Florida 8 SA that I found on ebay. I haven't yet picked a rod to pair with it, but due to budget constraints, it's likely that I'll end up putting it on a 12 weight TFO TiCR, TiCR X, or Bluewater. Opinions on these or alternatives in a similar price range would be appreciated. I will hopefully have a chance to test cast them soon so that I can pick one. This will be primarily for tarpon, and (hopefully) cobia.
The reel is coming with a sink tip line. Most of the tarpon fishing I will do with this will be on the beach. Is a sink tip appropriate for the beach, or should I pick up a WFF? I'm also curious about leaders. Should I be mimicking what I do for an 8 weight, but with higher diameter to match the line, or should I be doing something different? What diameter/lb test do you use for shock/bite tippet for tarpon?
rev

Re: Educate me

Post by rev »

I actually have an OF 8SA and a TFO TiCr 12 wt that was my first tarpon outfit (it's third string now--I became a gear ho along the way). The OF is a solid reel, but a heavy mother.

I have a TiCr in an 8wt that I actually really like, but I do not like my TFO TiCr in the 12. Heavy rod, brutally stiff, no feel for me. Felt like I was trying to cast a pushpole. It's a shitty excuse to blame the tools, but I've got 12s in a Scott HP and a Loomis Pro1 and each rod is night and day compared to my TFO.

I haven't tried the other TFO sticks you mention so I can't compare, but I'd try all of them before you decide.

Tarpon leaders are an art unto themselves. Check out Bill Bishop's or Andy Mill's systems in their books. Most of us use something similar. But the basic tarpon leader is a 6-7 foot butt of 60lb flouro, a class tippet of 16 or 20lb. Mason, and a 60-80 lb. flouro bite tippet.
Rik

Post by Rik »

rev wrote: a class tippet of 16 or 20lb. Mason
16 to 20 pound on a 100+ pound fish? That seems awful thin. You trying to set records?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
rev

Post by rev »

Gotta have a fuse in the system.
noles

Post by noles »

Rik wrote:
rev wrote: a class tippet of 16 or 20lb. Mason
16 to 20 pound on a 100+ pound fish? That seems awful thin. You trying to set records?
I use a 20# on mine so that I can pop them off at will or when the man in the gray suit shows up!
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
noles

Post by noles »

ChrisR wrote:Well, I pulled the trigger on the Old Florida 8 SA that I found on ebay. I haven't yet picked a rod to pair with it, but due to budget constraints, it's likely that I'll end up putting it on a 12 weight TFO TiCR, TiCR X, or Bluewater. Opinions on these or alternatives in a similar price range would be appreciated. I will hopefully have a chance to test cast them soon so that I can pick one. This will be primarily for tarpon, and (hopefully) cobia.
The reel is coming with a sink tip line. Most of the tarpon fishing I will do with this will be on the beach. Is a sink tip appropriate for the beach, or should I pick up a WFF? I'm also curious about leaders. Should I be mimicking what I do for an 8 weight, but with higher diameter to match the line, or should I be doing something different? What diameter/lb test do you use for shock/bite tippet for tarpon?
I have a 77 Old Florida loaded with Cortland Crystal PE, 8 SA loaded with SA Intermediate, TFO Hayden with SA Floater, and an Abel with SA Sink-tip. I found that for the last several years, I exclusively use the sink-tip for fishing the beach out of the kayak. It easier to pick up than the full intermediate line and puts the fly down quicker into the strike zone than a floater. The sink-tip is SA's Wet-tip. I just picked up Rio's Short Outbound sink-tip to replace the full intermediate for this season.

For rods, I think you really have to try them out, especially a 12wt. I'm with Rev regarding the TFO rods, I have had each of the TFO rods except for the Bluewater. I didn't care for any of them, it just didn't fit my casting style (or lack of style!). Since I build rods, all my rods are custom. My go to rod is a 12-14wt CTS Revo, backup rod #1 is a 10/11wt Allstar Austin, and last rod is a 10/11 Rainshadow RX7. Take a look at Redington CPS, Albright, or keep an eye on Ebay for used Loomis or Scott. Contact me I may have something for you.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"