When I grow up....

Rik

Re: When I grow up....

Post by Rik »

When I was a very young boy, single digit age, I would watch my Dad cast off the dock at a floating, plate sized piece of something he had anchored out in the lake. Over and over and over and over he'd cast, standing out there all by himself for hours. The singular joy when he actually hit the thing was visible.

I just thought he was nuts and always wondered why he didn't just throw a rock at it..
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Evan

Post by Evan »

rev wrote:That's Dave Olsen. He's pretty incredible. And...
Evan wrote:Practice throwing 50' of line accurately with a single backcast
...no offense, but he can do that a lot better than you too.
@ Rev
I think you missed my point. I was not claiming superiority in the 50 foot range (or any other range), I was merely making a suggestion for those who were disheartened by the goal of a 130+ foot cast. It's like they say in golf - "drive for show, putt for dough". And I'm sure there ARE guys who can cast a lot better than me...just not very many :wink:
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Rik

Post by Rik »

Evan wrote: I was not claiming superiority in the 50 foot range (or any other range),
I've met you. Yes you were.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Rik wrote:
Evan wrote: I was not claiming superiority in the 50 foot range (or any other range),
I've met you. Yes you were.
:D
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
rev

Post by rev »

I didn't miss any point (I rarely do ;) ). Evan, your statement that "distance is SO over-rated" is a) wrong, and b) ironic, considering your admitted lack of flats fishing experience in Florida. There are tons of sightfishing situations where a long accurate cast means the difference between having a chance and watching a peep show. Distance doesn't matter, except when it does. Besides, a person who can cast 120 feet (not me, not many people, but I've had a couple on my boat) is going to be more accurate at any distance than someone who can only cast 70 in the yard.

As an example, these fish aren't going to eat if they're within 60 feet of the boat. You need 80. It looks easy from here, but it's a tough shot--big rod, a little wind, boat rocking in a swell--but you've got to get it in the right place, way out there. By the way, these fish are already inside that range, the shot was perfect, and guess what? They didn't eat.

Example #2--jet skis and bow riders zipping over their heads; boats further up the line have already taken their shots, and that jackass in the Silver King is chasing them with his trolling motors. These fish are touchy. You need an 80 foot shot to even be in the game and that's probably still not good enough.

Now, these fish, you can pole right up to and do a little 30 footer, but it probably still won't matter because eating is the last thing they want to do right now.

BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Example #3: You would be having a good day to even get a 50' cast at one of these. I have seen several days where reds are just as spooky, or worse.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Evan

Post by Evan »

You guys crack me up! I love this forum :D Thanks for making boring days at work more tolerable.

Although they weren't caught from a kayak :( below are some pics from the last couple of weeks. And just to be a smartass (you know I can't leave well enough alone) I'll add that all of these fish were caught within 50 feet of the boat :joker:

ImageImageImageImage
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
islander

Post by islander »

Wow... Smack talk, pretty pics from a boat and conversation about pie. Viva La Drake!
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
Rik

Post by Rik »

You're supposed to hold the rod grip in your mouth. Not only can't you cast far enough, you don't know how to take pics of fly rod caught fish.
rev

Post by rev »

islander wrote:Wow... Smack talk, pretty pics from a boat and conversation about pie. Viva La Drake!
Indeed. It beats the shit out of koombayah.
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Yeah, but I haven't seen any boob shots yet.

“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Rik

Post by Rik »

It is Friday.

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... 37&t=32453" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
countryboy_ucf

Post by countryboy_ucf »

Rik wrote:You're supposed to hold the rod grip in your mouth. Not only can't you cast far enough, you don't know how to take pics of fly rod caught fish.
:D Priceless
Nick F
Hobie Revolution
"More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own
story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me."
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Rik wrote:It is Friday.

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... 37&t=32453" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I guess I'm not old enough to access that forum.
Who is John Galt?
Rik

Post by Rik »

dunfly wrote:

I'll assume that is your request.
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Rik wrote:
dunfly wrote:

I'll assume that is your request.
:shock:

Then again, maybe I'm too old.
Who is John Galt?