Schminnow

ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Schminnow

Post by ChrisR »

When tying the Schminnow, do the eyes get tied on the top of the hook shank (the side opposite the hook point as it sits in the vice), or the bottom? I have seen them pictured both ways.
Chief1600

Re: Schminnow

Post by Chief1600 »

http://www.hatches.tv/play.php?vid=222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In this example using bead chain eyes they are on top. Guess it would depend on which way you want the hook point to ride, neither is wrong, at least to me.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Evan

Post by Evan »

No matter which side you tie them on, beadchain eyes alone won't be enough to make this pattern ride hook point up. If you don't care about that, then it doesn't matter where you tie the eyes in.

If you DO want the fly to ride point up, then you'll have to add a "beard" on the underside of the shank. I would use either calf tail or a synthetic fiber for that, so it will trap air bubbles and force the fly to ride point-up.

I don't usually add any weight or eyes to mine, but if I do, I prefer a beadhead on these patterns. Improves the jigging action.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

White marabou tail, white ice chenille/estaz body, black plastic eyes on top of the hook shank. Anything else and it ain't a schminnow. :mrgreen:
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I agree, eyes on top of the hook shank. A schminnow is not designed to ride point up.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Wuluf

Post by Wuluf »

I tied one this afternoon. What a great fly!
Wuluf
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:White marabou tail, white ice chenille/estaz body, black plastic eyes on top of the hook shank. Anything else and it ain't a schminnow. :mrgreen:
I ended up in Norm Zeigler's shop this weekend. He said exactly Dunfly and Gil said, but said that is just how he designed it. He manipulates it to suit his needs, and even sells the same fly tied with weighted eyes that rides hook point up. I suppose that makes everyone right. :cheers:
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Pshhhhhh! What does Norm know. :D

If you don't bend the hook, it ain't a bendback.

If you slide the eyes forward to the hookeye on a Clouser, it ain't a Clouser ... it's a jig.

If you don't tie wings on your favorite dry fly, it's probably some type of emerger.

Leave Zeigler out of this. haha!! :mrgreen:
GIL

Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:black plastic eyes
Uh oh! Guess I better take a black Sharpie to the ones I tied with green eyes. I feel like such a failure :(
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Chief1600 wrote: Uh oh! Guess I better take a black Sharpie to the ones I tied with green eyes. I feel like such a failure :(
As long as you recognize the error of your ways, you're coming right along!! ;)
GIL

Evan

Post by Evan »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:
Chief1600 wrote: Uh oh! Guess I better take a black Sharpie to the ones I tied with green eyes. I feel like such a failure :(
As long as you recognize the error of your ways, you're coming right along!! ;)
The irony of this whole discussion is that you're arguing about the details of a fly pattern that's bogus in the first place! You saltwater guys can call it a "schminnow" all you want, but that same fly has existed for nearly 100 years...and is called a WOLLY BUGGER. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolly_Bugger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Evan ... you are 100 years and 100% wrong!!!

100 years ago they had never even thought of Estaz/Ice Chenille nor plastic eyes for that matter. :razz: :D

To top it off, the WB is "hackled" ... the Schminnow is not.

Check it out .. it's right here >>>> :study:

HA!!
GIL

BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Just when I thought fly fishing could not be any more dull.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

BearsFan wrote:Just when I thought fly fishing could not be any more dull.
All in fun!! :cool:
GIL

Evan

Post by Evan »

Maribou tail streamer = Wolly Bugger. Whether the chenille is "crystal" or not, or whether the pattern has plastic eyes or a metal bead head is just pithy detail.

Back in Colorado, a guide named Pat Dorsey took your position to the extreme. He took classic patterns like Pheasant Tails and Hare's Ears, put a clear glass bead on them instead of a metal one, and called them his own new pattern = the Mercury Pheasant Tail/Mercury Hare's Ear. Now he gets 10 cents each time some poor schmuck buys one at a shop, even though those patterns have existed for decades. My point is that a few minor changes don't make a new fly. Just like plastic eyes and crystal chenille don't make a Wolly Bugger a Schminnow. :wink:

Just when you thought it couldn't get any more mundane, right Bears Fan?
Rik

Post by Rik »

Elite alone wasn't enough. Now you guys are arguing over degrees of elite.....
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley