Schminnow

GILs_GONE_WILD

Re: Schminnow

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

ChrisR wrote: The beadchain eyes were enough to make the fly ride hook up,
Average size bead chain or did you use rather large bead chain?

Just curious too ... how fast was the sink rate with the bead chain you did use. I may want to tie a few like this too with a mono weed guard for Speckled Trout to resemble their white bait.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I'll take a look at the pack when I get home, but I'd guess its probably a medium sized bead chain. I have certainly seen smaller, but its not huge. It sank beautifully....just enough weight to make it slowly glide to the bottom. I wouldn't probably fish it in anything deeper than about 2.5' without adding more weight though. Even at 2-2.5' you would have to fish it pretty slowly to keep it near the bottom.
rev

Post by rev »

BearsFan wrote:If you are elite you are not arguing about a schminnow. Mostly because you use grown up flies.
High five from across the state.
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

rev wrote:
BearsFan wrote:If you are elite you are not arguing about a schminnow. Mostly because you use grown up flies.
High five from across the state.
Such elitist talk coming from 2 guys I remember fishing with at a pond with stocked farm trout! :lol:
We didn't use grown up flys there did we? :wink:
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

In full disclosure I did catch several reds on a gold mylar crab pattern yesterday. In my defense it was still on my rod from my trip to Charleston last week where that kind of thing is acceptable.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

BearsFan wrote:In full disclosure I did catch several reds on a gold mylar crab pattern yesterday. In my defense it was still on my rod from my trip to Charleston last week where that kind of thing is acceptable.
:lol:
I guess i'll confess as well.
I did catch some trout in NC on bead head wooly buggers. In my defense they were stocked trout and thats what they will eat unless you really want to stoop down and use egg patterns or Y2k bugs to mimmick corn!
See what you started Chris R!
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Snookfinatic wrote:See what you started Chris R!
Next topic for discussion.......tying the spoon fly.

:rr: :joker: I KEED.
Evan

Post by Evan »

BearsFan wrote:In full disclosure I did catch several reds on a gold mylar crab pattern yesterday.
Pics or it didn't happen :wink:
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Rik

Post by Rik »

BearsFan wrote:In full disclosure I did catch several reds on a gold mylar crab pattern yesterday.
Is that begging for forgiveness?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

mylar crab > schminnow

I was teaching a girl to throw a fly in Charleston, no apologies.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Evan

Post by Evan »

Nice! Good hookset, too. Must have been some deep water - those look like really heavy eyes. I sure wouldn't want to be anywhere near a beginner waving that thing around!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Rik

Post by Rik »

Evan wrote: those look like really heavy eyes. I sure wouldn't want to be anywhere near a beginner waving that thing around!
Waving it around? He was deep jigging.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

"Moderately" deep jigging.

I didn't tie the crab but I like a fly that gets down and stays down when imitating a shiny gold crab. Also gives it good movement at mid water level.