One love, one fly

noles

Post by noles »

I am a big fan of topwater lures, so I will have to go with a crease fly (my version of course).
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Snookfinatic wrote:I also like the Dupre spoon fly.
Is that even really a fly?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

BearsFan wrote:
Snookfinatic wrote:I also like the Dupre spoon fly.
Is that even really a fly?
Yes, The first original spoon fly invented by Jim Dupre back in the day AKA "Dupre spoon fly"
Before your time! Only us grumpy old men remember! :lol:
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

So every spoon fly since is a spoon?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

I ain't gettin' into these "fly fishing" semantics. :shock: Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. HA!
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
islander

Post by islander »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:I ain't gettin' into these "fly fishing" semantics. :shock: Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. HA!
We're gonna need a decision here, Gil. We got one that says it is a fly, and one vote for THAT AIN'T A FLY. You'll have to be the tie breaker...
www.lemonbayconservancy.org
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

What does you t-shirt say?

finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

BearsFan wrote:So every spoon fly since is a spoon?
Is an epoxy shrimp a fly? C'mon dude don't get all super purist/elitist on me. You and the majority of fly chuckers are "Bi" anyway. (Bi=fly/spin) :lol:
Jim Dupre was the originator of the epoxy spoon fly. A spoon fly is a spoon fly and a spoon is a spoon. Two different things.

finaticdesigns.com
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

islander wrote:
GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:I ain't gettin' into these "fly fishing" semantics. :shock: Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. HA!
We're gonna need a decision here, Gil. We got one that says it is a fly, and one vote for THAT AIN'T A FLY. You'll have to be the tie breaker...
OK islander ... I'll "man-up". ha! If it's too light to cast with a spinning reel (without adding a sinker or "casting bubble") and you can easily enough cast it with a fly rod then it's a fly. Period .... end of story. :D
Last edited by GILs_GONE_WILD on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIL

GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

BearsFan wrote:What does you t-shirt say?
"Shut up and fish!!!" :wink:

I don't care if you mash a bread ball on a 5/0 hook and hang it over a bridge and at the end of a 2wt fly rod and you're watchin' a big ol' red and white "bobber" (not stike indicator :? ) sittin' back pouring down Old Milwaukees in your face. If that suits the angler and he/she wants to call that "fly fishing", then so be it. haha!

Just fish!! :D
Last edited by GILs_GONE_WILD on Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIL

finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:
islander wrote:
OK islander ... I'll "man-up". ha! If it's too light to cast with a spinning reel (without adding a sinker or "casting bubble") and you can easily enough cast it with a fly rod then it's a fly. Period .... end of story. :D
So, if I cast a beetle spin with a fly rod that's considered a fly?
C'mon seriously I thought the fly chuckers had more standards than that?

finaticdesigns.com
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Snookfinatic wrote: You are "Bi" anyway.
It was college.

finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

BearsFan wrote:
Snookfinatic wrote: You are "Bi" anyway.
It was college.
:lol:
Too many long nights at Posey's?

finaticdesigns.com
Capt Bob J.

Post by Capt Bob J. »

My favorite go-to fly is a 2 1/2 "white deceiver with chartruese down the middle and a few strands of red flash. Simple, and it catches a lot of fish.
Capt. Robert Jaspers
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Snookfinatic wrote: So, if I cast a beetle spin with a fly rod that's considered a fly?
C'mon seriously I thought the fly chuckers had more standards than that?
"Standards" went out the window with horsehair and silk fly lines and bamboo rods. Graphite rods have taken over where bamboo and fiberglass left off and PVC coated fly lines, foam, rubber legs, synthetics, spinners and diving lips for tying flies are the hot items today. ha!!!

Call it what you want but a clouser ain't nothin' but a jig with the weight moved back from the hook eye and eighth of an inch or so. :wink:
GIL

islander

Post by islander »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote: Call it what you want but a clouser ain't nothin' but a jig with the weight moved back from the hook eye and eighth of an inch or so. :wink:
Dem's sparring words there, Gil...
www.lemonbayconservancy.org