Flyfishing for Beginners

s2ary

Re: Flyfishing for Beginners

Post by s2ary »

Learn how to cast. If you only fish in freshwater you can fake it or get by with an OK cast. But when you set up to salt water you need to be on your game and make a good cast into any wind direction or you will be very frustrated.

5 minutes a night in your backyard will make you a good caster in less than a month.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

This might be a little off topic --- but does anyone have an opinion on the native ulimate paddle as far as poling and getting around while fly fishing? It's a little pricey, but looks very nice.

When I got my first yak --- a Hurricane Phoenix 140 --- I made the mistake of not getting good racks, cart, etc. Now I realize accessories are important -- as much so as the yak itself.

Any thoughts on the native paddle/pole? I'll get it if it's worth it.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Mike Hodge wrote:This might be a little off topic --- but does anyone have an opinion on the native ulimate paddle as far as poling and getting around while fly fishing? It's a little pricey, but looks very nice.
Nice boat, take a look at the Wilderness Systems Commander series also.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Post by Rik »

First, standing and poling in any kayak or canoe has more to do with the angler than it does the boat. Some guys can stand on the edge of a 2x4, some have trouble standing on a dock.

If you are going to buy new, look at both the Native and the Wilderness boats. Similar boats going after the same market. It should be noted that Native was the first entry into the 'hybrid kayak' market and it took Wilderness over 2 years to come up with an acceptable copy that is close to the mark set by Native but this has nothing to do with the fact that i have a Native and Todd, my brother, has a Wilderness.

I can stand in and pole my Native - and I'm not a stand in the kayak kinda guy. I'm about 90% comfortable with it. Even when I have 'lost my standing orientation' I did not flip or go overboard. Just do a sudden sit down and all's well.

For most, standing and paddling is easier. It takes a while to get used to poling since you are so far forward in the boat. From that position while poling, the boats want to turn.

Fly casting while standing.....haven't tried it. Have cast with a spinning rod and it was acceptable.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Rik wrote:First, standing and poling in any kayak or canoe has more to do with the angler than it does the boat. Some guys can stand on the edge of a 2x4, some have trouble standing on a dock.

If you are going to buy new, look at both the Native and the Wilderness boats. Similar boats going after the same market. It should be noted that Native was the first entry into the 'hybrid kayak' market and it took Wilderness over 2 years to come up with an acceptable copy that is close to the mark set by Native but this has nothing to do with the fact that i have a Native and Todd, my brother, has a Wilderness.

I can stand in and pole my Native - and I'm not a stand in the kayak kinda guy. I'm about 90% comfortable with it. Even when I have 'lost my standing orientation' I did not flip or go overboard. Just do a sudden sit down and all's well.

For most, standing and paddling is easier. It takes a while to get used to poling since you are so far forward in the boat. From that position while poling, the boats want to turn.

Fly casting while standing.....haven't tried it. Have cast with a spinning rod and it was acceptable.
I'm pretty much set on the native 14.5. Got a chance to get a used one for $600 this spring. Barring a complication, I'm going to pull the trigger. I've tried it, stood in it, fly casted out of it and was able to do everything with reasonable proficiency, although I'm sure I'll improve.

Main thing I need to know now, if anyone has any info, concerns the native ultimate paddle/pole and the native ultimate cart. Anyone tried either of these things?
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Welcome aboard Mike. At $600 I don't think you can go wrong. Look it over for structural problems, but if there aren't any, that is a great price. I'm balance challenged so I'm one of the ones that have trouble standing on a dock, but the Ultimate Native is one of the most stable platforms available.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Rik

Post by Rik »

The Native paddle pole is damn expensive! First I'd ever seen it was via google this morning. Have never seen it in use but at $300, I don't expect to see many around.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Evan

Post by Evan »

The problem with trying to pole a kayak/canoe while fly-fishing (by yourself) is the terribly awkward moment between the time that you spot a fish, put your pushpole or paddle down, pick up the flyrod, re-locate the fish, clear your line, and then make a cast. I can count the number of times I've been able to do all of that successfully on one hand, and I've been trying for a couple years now with reasonable proficiency.

If your goal is to sightcast to fish with a fly, a fancy push-paddle isn't going to make much difference, because approaching the fish isn't really the problem, it's what happens after the approach that's so tricky.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Rik

Post by Rik »

http://www.floridabackcountry.com/default.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have one of their Paddle Mates tied to a web belt. Push pole snaps right in. The Rod Mate may work better but I had a Paddle Mate in the garage. Just make sure it won't slide out.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Rik wrote:http://www.floridabackcountry.com/default.php

I have one of their Paddle Mates tied to a web belt. Push pole snaps right in. The Rod Mate may work better but I had a Paddle Mate in the garage. Just make sure it won't slide out.

I definitely will get a paddle/rod mate. I'll probably get a decent push pole, not the $300 native paddle/pole combo.
I can pole with my regular paddle; however, I'd like something a little longer.

Mike
MrBertDicky

Post by MrBertDicky »

Was hoping this had been asked already (and I'm sure it has else-where) but I used the search function and couldn't find it.

Anyway, I'm moving to Orlando in February from Missouri and have some experience fly fishing here in small rivers, usually using a 3 or 4 wt. I was hoping to get into fishing the flats around Mosquito Lagoon and the Banana River via kayak for redfish, trout, snook, maybe small tarpon once I get the hang of it.

My questions is: What's a good beginner fly rod for flats fishing? I usually stay away from the "high end" rods, I've found with fly fishing it's the same as golf, you can have $1000 clubs, but until you know how to hit the ball you may as well be using a stick.

Thanks for any advice, looking forward to warmer weather.

Grant
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Older models of "High End" rods are available on ebay for as much as a crappy new rod costs. Always a good way to go.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I know it's not elitest but I have a TFO rod that suites my just fine. 8wt is a pretty good all purpose rod and I use a 5 for fun with trout and pompano..
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Now that your daughter is married off you can spend some cash on fine fly rods....

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Noles builds mine. They work for me and he even puts my name on them. P :cool:

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.