Flyfishing for Beginners

Rik

Flyfishing for Beginners

Post by Rik »

This topic comes up every month. While there is an excellent search function on this site, I'm going to make this a sticky topic.

There is a ton of fly fishing expertise on this forum. If the seasoned fly fishermen would add to this post with suggestions for beginners, we could keep all the info in one thread.

It wuld be great if we could get info on Fly rods for beginners, the right line for different situations, where to go to get lessons, etc. Just answer the question "Where do I begin?"

PLEASE!!!! do not make this a chatty thread. Stick to the topic.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

I would highly recommend the free, yes free, fly casting lessons offered at Bill Jackons on certain Saturdays every month.

It starts off with basic description of the fly rod, fly lines and lures. After that they move onto fly casting. You do not need your own fly rod as they will provide one for you if needed.

Well worth the hour and a half I spent there.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I'm just now learning myself, and honestly, I've found that NOT BRINGING ANY SPINNING GEAR ON YOUR TRIPS!!! Is the best way to learn, If you put down the flyrod to use a spinning, you are not learning how to fly fish :wink:
The best way to learn us by actually using it.
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Temple Fork Outfitters makes several series of rods. They range from about $100 to $250 and are great rods. If you are looking for an inexpensive way to get into the sport I would recomend one of these rods. You could always go custom, forum member Noles is the person to talk to.

As for lines I would recomend Scientific Anglers Headstart. It is under $40 and the tapers are exaggerated to help you feel the cast better.

Reels, get the best you can afford.

Oh, yeah. Check out ebay too.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
beyondhelp

Post by beyondhelp »

For those of you in the Treasure Coast area, there are free casting lessons at Indian Riverside Park on most Saturdays at 9am. The teacher is retired Special Forces and I'd go there just for the stories. For more info, check with John B's Fly and Light Tackle.

(no financial interest, just a great shop and free lessons)
KevinC

Post by KevinC »

Here at Casey Key Anglers and Outfitters we offer free fly tying and casting classes. Hang around your local fly shop, you will learn alot!

KevinC
[url=http://www.caseykeyanglersandoutfitters.com:30x4m49q]http://www.caseykeyanglersandoutfitters.com[/url:30x4m49q]
[b:30x4m49q]Venice, Florida- Your FlyFishing Needs.[/b:30x4m49q]
Tonysav

Post by Tonysav »

Join a fly fishing club you will learn everything about fly fishing and get the best instruction available. I recommend Mangrove Coast Fly Fishers look up their web page at www.mangrovecoastflyfishers.com. Big club many talented people to help you with casting, fishing, fly tying, etc. Check it out.
chuckm310

First Rod

Post by chuckm310 »

Wally world offers a bass kit from Scientific Anglers that is complete for $39.95 or $59.95, I forget which, (it's the scond thing that goes), anyway you cannot beat that deal.

About reels. No don't buy the most expensive you can afford. Orvis mid arbor, starts and $119.95, very, very good reel. New in the market is a reel from a Swedish company called Scierra. Very high quality and very very good. They start at 139.00 Check Then out.
snookon

Post by snookon »

Tampa Bay Fly Fishing Club (www.tbffc.org) meets the first Wednesday of every month at Compton Park Recreation Center in Tampa Palms is a good choices to learn about fly fishing , casting , rod selection , fly tying, lines and other fly fishing topic.
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

I like to pass on the same advice that was told to me when I got serious about fly fishing some years ago.

"If you get to the point that you're tired of catching fish, get a fly rod."

You can be sitting on a hole full of fish that readily take anything you throw with a spinning rod but as soon as you set it aside and sling a fly out there, they get lock jawed. It is an entirely different ball game so take your time in learning the a whole new set of rules.

10 years later and there is still much more to learn.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

KevinC wrote:Here at Casey Key Anglers and Outfitters we offer free fly tying and casting classes. Hang around your local fly shop, you will learn alot!

KevinC
If you are SOTE it is well worth the visit. They are great folks and eager to help.
(this is not a paid advertisement but rather a recount of real experience)
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Evan

Post by Evan »

1) Don't buy the cheapest fly rod you can find. It may be tempting, but cheap rods don't have any "feel", which is exactly what you need as a beginner. One specific tip is to avoid any rod with a plastic reel seat. You will learn to cast much faster/more effectively with a decent rod.

2) Remember that good fly presentation is usually FAR more important than fly selection. If you're not catching fish, it's probably not the fly's fault. Work on your casting, approach and timing before worrying about the fly itself.

3) Learn how to find the fish first. This isn't a problem in rivers, but out here on the flats it's a VERY different story. If you are unfamiliar with the salt, figure out the how/when/where of catching fish on conventional tackle first. Throwing a fly is hard enough w/o worrying whether there are actually any fish around to see it.

4) Make friends with an experienced fly caster. Books and videos and forums are all great, but there is no substitute for personal instruction. Fishing alongside an experienced fly caster can teach you more in a single hour than you are likely to pick up in a year of watching You Tube videos.

5) Focus on the "strengths" of saltwater fly-fishing. Fly anglers are generally most successful under conditions where stealth and accuracy are at a premium. Some good examples are fishing dock lights at night, and sight-casting to fish cruising a shallow flat. Try to choose scenarios where fishing a fly may give you an advantage, rather than blind-casting into large areas where a spinning rod would be more efficient.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
PHLYfisher

Re: Flyfishing for Beginners

Post by PHLYfisher »

Read as much as you can early on. You'll catch more fish and avoid many a frustration, especially if like many you have a hard time finding a mentor or consistently getting out with a guide.

http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Fishing-Saltw ... 569&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/Flyrodding-Florid ... 670&sr=1-9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/Flyfishers-Guide- ... 741&sr=1-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by PHLYfisher on Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
PHLYfisher

Re:

Post by PHLYfisher »

:salute:
Evan wrote:1) Don't buy the cheapest fly rod you can find. It may be tempting, but cheap rods don't have any "feel", which is exactly what you need as a beginner. One specific tip is to avoid any rod with a plastic reel seat. You will learn to cast much faster/more effectively with a decent rod.

2) Remember that good fly presentation is usually FAR more important than fly selection. If you're not catching fish, it's probably not the fly's fault. Work on your casting, approach and timing before worrying about the fly itself.

3) Learn how to find the fish first. This isn't a problem in rivers, but out here on the flats it's a VERY different story. If you are unfamiliar with the salt, figure out the how/when/where of catching fish on conventional tackle first. Throwing a fly is hard enough w/o worrying whether there are actually any fish around to see it.

4) Make friends with an experienced fly caster. Books and videos and forums are all great, but there is no substitute for personal instruction. Fishing alongside an experienced fly caster can teach you more in a single hour than you are likely to pick up in a year of watching You Tube videos.

5) Focus on the "strengths" of saltwater fly-fishing. Fly anglers are generally most successful under conditions where stealth and accuracy are at a premium. Some good examples are fishing dock lights at night, and sight-casting to fish cruising a shallow flat. Try to choose scenarios where fishing a fly may give you an advantage, rather than blind-casting into large areas where a spinning rod would be more efficient.
Mike Hodge

Re:

Post by Mike Hodge »

Evan wrote:1) Don't buy the cheapest fly rod you can find. It may be tempting, but cheap rods don't have any "feel", which is exactly what you need as a beginner. One specific tip is to avoid any rod with a plastic reel seat. You will learn to cast much faster/more effectively with a decent rod.

Reading this brought back memories when I learned how to grouse hunt in Virginia. Walked a ton of logging trails without a flush. My wife was skeptical: "Are you sure they're not extinct?" LOL.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: Flyfishing for Beginners

Post by jbdba01 »

Flint Creek Outfitters here in Riverview/Lithia offers free lessons. I don't recall the dates (maybe Weds evening), but the link will take you to their website and contact info.

That said I'm adhering to CookNFish's advice.
JB