1st Annual JayB Memorial Paddle-In

Paying tribute to those we've lost
Rik

1st Annual JayB Memorial Paddle-In

Post by Rik »

In honor of our founder, JayB, we will get back to our roots and once again have a good old fashioned Paddle-In. Paddle-Ins were something Jay and John put together back in the olden days to get us all in one place and put names with faces.

For those of you who have never been to a Paddle-In, here are the specifics. It is officially unofficial. It is not sponsored by anyone but you. Food will be catered by whatever you bring for yourself. Liquid refreshments are typically in abundance but that all depends on the size of your cooler. If you want to let others dip into your cooler, that's fine, it's your cooler. Some may get very generous and fire up a grill. But, then again, maybe they won't.

There is no start time nor is there an end time. People show up when they want and leave when they want. Some will get there an hour before O dark thirty. Some will get there after a leisurely breakfast of Eggs Benedict on their back deck. If you want to fish, go right ahead. If you don't, don't.

Details:

Date: Saturday, May 30
Where: Fort Desoto
Time: When you get there until whenever you leave.

This is to be a get together of fishermen and fisherwomen that use paddlecraft in pursuit of their enjoyment. A chance to meet others, share fish stories (both true and exaggerated), see how other kayaks are rigged, have fun, laugh, solve all the world's problems and just generally hang out.

Of course, the committee meeting will probably rule the day. If you don't know what a committee meeting is, get together with a few others while out on the water - typically on a shallow sand spit - and discuss what a committee meeting should be.

There is one rule - there will be no flying of "colors". Once you show up, you are not a member of any club. You are no longer a sponsored angler promoting any company's wares. You will simply be just another person who enjoys catching fish from a paddle driven boat. If you show up with logos all over yourself, you just may go home looking like the duct tap man.

I only know one thing that absolutely will happen. At some point, we will all gather together and raise a paddle (and some sort of liquid refreshment) in honor of JayB. After all, he invented kayak fishing and is the Highly Trained Expert!

Here is where we will gather. This is just past the 35 cent toll booth. Now, this doesn't mean you have to launch here. In fact, you don't have to launch at all. We would like to have several launch here so we can 'mark our spot' to have plenty of room when we do gather.

Last edited by Rik on Wed May 27, 2009 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoseC

Post by JoseC »

If I didnt have to work I would totally be there.
Jose C

Hobie Revolution
RockinNReelin

Post by RockinNReelin »

I'm there even if the oceans turn to desert!!!
~Sharon~
Never lie to someone you trust, Never trust someone who lies to you.
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

No logos does NOT mean clothing optional!

Just wanted to throw that out there to save us the trauma.
I'll be there fer sher!
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

CooKnFish wrote:No logos does NOT mean clothing optional!
There go my plans for an even tan!
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
Rik

Post by Rik »

JoseC wrote:If I didnt have to work I would totally be there.
oh well, guess you have to pick your priorities.....
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

When I first signed up for Paddle-Fishing.com I use to see photos and read the posts about this thing called a Paddle-In. It will be a pleasure to honor JayB in such a way.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Are we talking the put in just after the toll booth Rik?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Let me ask the organizing committee, Dave, though they may require a meeting first.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Cool. The meeting point would beee? Shell Key?
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Rik wrote:Let me ask the organizing committee, Dave, though they may require a meeting first.
Doesn't that require you to make Mojitos?
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Mark R wrote:
Rik wrote:Let me ask the organizing committee, Dave, though they may require a meeting first.
Doesn't that require you to make Mojitos?
I certainly hope so!
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Mako

Post by Mako »

Some may get very generous and fire up a grill. But, then again, maybe they won't
it ain't a true paddle in unless the grill's on fire :wink:

i'll be there with one
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Mako wrote:
Some may get very generous and fire up a grill. But, then again, maybe they won't
it ain't a true paddle in unless the grill's on fire :wink:

i'll be there with one
Me too, maybe we can get skeeter to do some "Larry Burgers".
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

The beauty of a paddle-in is that there is no planning.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

i think i'll request this day off since i know longer make the schedules. sure wish i had the oppurtunity to meet this fine gentlemen. hey peter if i bring a steak will you cook venezualen style :lol: