We lost a good man today

Paying tribute to those we've lost
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

----------------------------:cry:-----------------------------
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

DaveR wrote:My time on this earth was made better by knowing Jay. It's really just that simple I guess.
Exactly my feelings, well said Dave.

I have been on this board since the day it started because of Jay. He was also the first one on the board that I fished with. We did not fish as often as I would have liked but every trip was enjoyable. When he called me after several treatments that made him very weak asking if I would meet him for a fishing trip so I could load and unload his kayak I actually felt honored to go. If the roles were reversed, he would have done it for any of us. I hope when my time is up I find Jay at the gate waiting to show me all the new fishing spots he has found.

God Bless you Jay !
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
shallow minded II

Post by shallow minded II »

I was lucky to think of myself as a friend of Jay's. Having first met Jay thru the old boards at Cap'n Mels, he continued to be a good buddy over the years. At times it was kind of hard to picture someone as distinguished looking as Jaybert being involved in kayak fishing. But, it soon became clear that Jay had a real love of our Florida outdoors. Growing up in Ohio & watching Flipper & Gentel Ben in the 60's, I would always be entertained when Jay would talk about Miami in the 60's. Ah, the stories he could tell.

Jay is a perfect example of the lyrics of the Beatles song. " The love you take is equal to the love you make." In fact, one of the true joys was talking music with Jay, he knew his stuff.

Tonight I'm keeping the Busch in the 'fridge & going to the store for a flask of scotch. It'll be for Highly Trained Expert.

Jay, keep your paddle in the water & watch over us. :cry: [/i]
I always catch more & larger fish when I fish by myself. Stealth is the key.
Mother

Post by Mother »

It’s been almost 9 years since I first met Jay. We’d been chatting on Mel’s, and I finally decided to take him up on an offer to meet him and some of the guys at Miguel Bay. My wife thought I was crazy. “You’re going to Tampa to meet some guys you met online??”

As soon as I pulled into the skyway, a tall big old hippy looking guy jumped out in front of my truck waving his arms, scaring the crap out of me. “You must be Mother!” I spent the rest of the day fishing along Jay. We stopped at a hole full of dink trout. One of the 1st things I remember thinking was “Anyone that can get excited about a 10” trout is ok in my book”. We had a blast, never left the spot and chatted about Miami, and the old days. Turned out Jay had graduated from Coral Park, two blocks from my house, and the same school my brother, sister, wife and daughters went to or are going. Coral Park became Jay’s school, and I think of him every time I drop the kids off, even when he wasn’t sick.

We had the pleasure of spending many miles on the water, many nights in tents, sitting around a camp fire, and traversing Florida to new spots, even though “Jay” never traveled well. I honestly felt privileged to be around him. Jay became the group’s voice of reason.

He left a little of him in each of us.. Anyone that didn’t meet him, missed on the opportunity to know a kind, gentle soul with a strong passion for kayaking, fishing, and one hell of a man.

You will be sorely missed.
Keep your paddle in the water indeed, buddy.

Last edited by Mother on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“That brush beyond the big hump has been calling for a long time and maybe I better answer while I’m able” R.L.P
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

I met JayB in Cockroach Bay, back when the only other boats I would see were motorboats violating the “no motor” areas. He kindly waited for me to put my rod down and paddled over to where I as fly fishing from my canoe. Even though I averaged one trip there a week because it was close to home, I believe that was the first time I saw a kayaker in that area.

We talked about fishing, he showed me what lures were working for him that day, and told me about a website he was putting together: paddle DASH fishing dot com. He told me about Spike’s website on the west coast and he was putting together a list of kayak launches in the area.

“Paddlefishing(?)” I repeated/asked.

“Paddle DASH…don’t forget the DASH” he answered.

Thanks JayB.
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
loukiii

Post by loukiii »

My condolences. You all have lost a good friend.
Sully

Post by Sully »

I truly am at a loss for words. His contributions to so many of us are too numerous to count. All I can think of right now is thank you everything. Rest in peace.
TRUE
Mother

Post by Mother »

OMG! I can still hear that. You kinda felt like he was pushing or selling something, and never knew he was giving us so much. :cry:
“That brush beyond the big hump has been calling for a long time and maybe I better answer while I’m able” R.L.P
RockinNReelin

Post by RockinNReelin »

It took me a while to compose myself enough to post on this thread. I'm not real sure where I met Jay for the first time but I do remember I was struck by the long pony tail he was sporting. I am honored to be able to call Jay friend but more importantly I am TRULY BLESSED to have had the pleasure of knowing him.

A couple of fond memories I have is one out at Snug Harbor where he and John caught me fishing in my slippers! It wasn't bad enough that they caught me, but they just HAD to point it out! :shock:

Another memory was when Jay was hollering across the water at me calling me a long haired hippie or something to that effect only to find out it was me and NOT Mark!!! lol

So Jay, thanks for the memories and all the friendshiips you have created due to the creation of this forum. You'll be sorely missed but never ever forgotten! I love you, man
~Sharon~
Never lie to someone you trust, Never trust someone who lies to you.
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

I moved here about 8 years ago. Then I found my huge draft center console kept getting grounded in the bay. So I decided to build my pirogue, hence the screen name.

Not long after, I found this website.

At the first paddle in I attended at Shell Key, my pirogue edged up to the mangroves and Jay was there to great me. He welcomed me and shouted back to the others to come and unload my gear for me. It was like meeting an old friend.

The next paddle in (the cheez-it incident) , I rolled up again, Jay was there on the other side of the mangroves and he said, I see wood, it must be pirogue.

Great guy.  He and Johnster were like the patriarchs of the group.  Everyone was welcomed as if they were old friends.

I remember we had some back channel conversations on his idea to build a teardrop trailer. I don't know if it ever came to fruition, but the conversations were fun nevertheless.

I do not get out as much as I used to. But I still visit the site the guys started.

This is a special community.

You will be missed Jay.
1 3 12 120 3000
BrokenPaddle

Post by BrokenPaddle »

Can't post much here as I didn't know Jay, but I do know that of all of the kayak fishing sites out there, this is one of the 3 that I bother even checking on a daily basis.

Best Wishes to the family, Sorry for your loss.
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

My heart goes out to his family and to each of you who were lucky enough to call Jay a friend.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Hatch wrote:----------------------------:cry:-----------------------------
Pretty much says it all Hatch.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Mr. E wrote:
OMG! I can still hear that. You kinda felt like he was pushing or selling something, and never knew he was giving us so much. :cry:
Mother but I still hear that in a slur as he stumbled around the camfire with a tumbler of scotch. Telling us all about the website...... good times good times :!:
Credo quia absurdum
Terrapin

Post by Terrapin »

I am not good at this stuff so I will just say that I once wrestled the man to the ground naked. You will truly be missed and never be forgotten my friend.
"Cheap women, cheap wine, cheap money, cheap time these things do not exist..."
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Just to clear it up. Only one of you were naked and it wasn't Jay. :lol: Taking advantage of an old man in waders is soooo wrong.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.