We lost a good man today

Paying tribute to those we've lost
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Thank you, Norm, for speaking for all of the Paddle-fishing.com community yesterday in your eulogy for JayB! I hope that you can copy what you wrote and post it here.

Jay's best friend, who looks like he could be Jay's brother, gave one helluva a eulogy. It was a pleasure meeting him & seeing so many of Paddle-fishing's "old guard." Admittedly, it would have been far preferred to have had JayB there with everyone celebrating some other event. But I do feel certain he was there and smiling.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
flexyaker

Post by flexyaker »

My prayers and thoughts for his family and friends. Never met JayB, but reading all of what been posted brought tears to my eyes and make me feel like if I have known him.
BIG T

Thank you

Post by BIG T »

Thank you

To all those who attended
Yesterdays services in person
Or in spirit

Big T
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

TerryW wrote:Personally, I think it is time to have the Ultimate Paddle-In to honor JayB and to raise funds for the American Cancer Society or the charity Jay's family and friends would want us to contribute to.

Fishing, camping, drinking, and camaraderie would be mandatory.
Catching trout would be optional.

Dayam, I am still PO'd that we lost this wonderful person. And I am fully ready to assist in some sort of paddle-fishing event to honor Our Captain.

Whatever you guys are planning to honor JayB, count me in!
Pick a spot and date, I'm in. I'll suggest Shell Key and fairly soon.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

I met Jay at the Fort my first time out in a kayak. We pulled over in the shade and he told me about the web site he and a buddy had just put together. I signed on that night, and have been hooked ever since.
I have since met a lot of great people and experienced a lot of great trips, as a result of passing him on the water.
Thank you for the memories sir, it was a pleasure knowing you.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

I only shook paws with JayB on several occasions, but they mattered to me. He was always quick with solid advice, whether it was about fishing, photography, whatever. As many have already stated here, to know him was to know a good man.

I've always felt that as long as someone lives in your heart and in your memories, that they still walk beside us.

Cheers to you Jay B ... this one's for you ...

Life By The Drop - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Hello there, my old friend,
not so long ago it was 'till the end
We played outside in the pouring rain,
on our way up the road we started over again

You're livin' a dream, wo you on top
My mind is achin', Lord it won't stop
That's how it happens, livin' life by the drop

Up and down that road in our worn out shoes,
talkin' 'bout good things and signin' the blues
You went your way, I stayed behind
We both knew it was just a matter of time

No wasted time, we're alive today
Churnin' up the past, there's no easier way
Time's been between us, a means to an end
God it's good to be here walkin' together my friend

Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=28244&st

Post by Norm »

we will all be eternally greatful for what he started here.....

Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Lookin' good there Norm.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Norm - I hope you'll send a copy of that photo to Kathy and to JayB's friend Jim!
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
flatsskipper

To all of you

Post by flatsskipper »

I did not know him, however; from reading of your fondness for him I wish I had. My deepest condolances to you all for the loss of your friend.
Larry
flatsskipper
"fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men-for all men are equal before fish" - Herbert Hoover
paddlaroun

Post by paddlaroun »

We are all richer for the legacy JayB left us. Tight lines and the wind always at your back good sir!
Dan Native 12
"Sleep in fish late"

"I know the waters cold! Wet your hand anyway!!!"
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I have been out of town and this is my first chance to reply to this thread. Todd called me while I was gone to let me know and I certainly was saddened by the news. He is the reason I was able to start the OLC and when he could showed up for the weigh in regardless of the location. He was a big supporter of the event and it was because of this site that I was able to even start it. I was another one that started on Mel's site and became part of this site because of what he and John offered. It was through this site that I met all of my closest paddling friends. And got to know Jay. He also instrumental in my relationship with Wilderness Systems. I am forever grateful to him for his support of both the OLC and our fishing team.

He was a good man, and he will be missed by the paddle fishing community. I am sorry that I could not attend the funeral and that I am now just getting around to posting here. To his family and very close friends, thanks for sharing him with all of us.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Been away a little bit and just chimed in to read the sad news. Drift In Peace, JayB.
Last edited by sfurman on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
Wuluf

Sad to hear

Post by Wuluf »

Unfortunately I did not know JayB, but I am sorry to hear of the loss nonetheless. He must have been a great person.
Wuluf
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I never knew JayB but I can tell from the words and pictures here that he loved fishing and people loved him. Thank you JayB for creating this place for all of these wonderful people to come together and talk about what they love. We need more people like JayB in this world, obviously.
Chrystal_Murray

Post by Chrystal_Murray »

One of the very first kayakers I ever fished with was JayB. It was at Ft. Desoto and he taught me everything I ever needed to know about catching trout.

I remember the paddle-ins he would organize there...they will remain fond memories.

The last person I kayak fished with before moving away was JayB. We fished Snug Harbor. I never knew he was sick.

I can't recall ever meeting another kayak angler, including myself, who fished for all the right reasons, except for JayB. He was a good, good man.

RIP Jay. I know you are paddle fishing in a parallel Ft. Desoto, maybe with The Canoeman, where the trout are plentiful and huge.

To John, Rik, Phinla, DaveR and Dirty Dave, to Sharon and Mark, Jay's family and all who knew and fished with Jay, I am very sorry for your loss.