Native Ultimate 12 ???

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Native Ultimate 12 ???

Post by krash »

How does one determine what year/model and/or when a Native Ultimate 12 was built ?

Kind of looking for an older original base model of this kayak. I know some seem to have a deployable keel and some don't. I remember seeing them for the first time many years ago at one of Capt. wrights Choko paddle in events on display and being demo'd.

Does anyone know the history, changes, for the Native Ultimate 12 ?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
kmeng

Re: Native Ultimate 12 ???

Post by kmeng »

I'm pretty sure it's it either the first two numbers or the last two numbers in the Serial#. It should be etched on the outside starboard or port side of the stern. I have a 2009 U14.5, and it either begins or ends 09, can't remember off hand.

I believe the hull designs changed in 2012 and 2015 (FX)
Do what you love, love what you do, and most of all, love life.

"Don't seek to follow the footsteps of the masters, seek what they sought"
Native Ultimate 14.5 Solo in Olive
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Krash - good luck finding an older Native 12 - lets see a photo when you find one and get it set up the way you like
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Will do BB, setup for me is a real simple deal I'm a minimalist... most likely a couple bungies will do, I'll transfer the crate I use in my canoe and/or the Engle 30 I use in the canoe and paddleboard. Depending on bottom I either take a DIY PVC stake out pole or anchor (6# downrigger ball weight) a paddle, crate and 2 rods. Depending on depth I may or may not take my push-pole.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

bluebill

Post by bluebill »

You got me thinking about the Native Ultimate so I reviewed their website and other online stuff.

Then my original assessment came back to me. Regarding whether I could live with the Native Ultimate here around Pine Island, Charlotte Harbor and Matlacha.

For my style of kayak fishing , I like to approach an oyster bar, anchor, get out and wade fish for a bit. So, my two 10 ft kayaks have bruised bottoms from oysters. I was attracted to the foot pedal system but I could see the protruding propeller part smashing into an oyster bar.

Second possible negative is that in Matlacha Pass there is often pretty thick seaweed mats which it seems would foul that little propeller.

But you can solve both problems by getting the 12 ft Native Ult without the pedal/prop system and they still make that model.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Ok, I found and purchased one... Native Ultimate 12 Elite (fiberglass)

bluebill

Post by bluebill »

krash,

OK, now you need a nice pickup truck so you slide that beauty in the bed

bluebill ( didk k )
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

No pick-up's on my list... old and on my way out I love my Civic.. its my 3rd one, been driving Honda's since '82,

That's why I buy light... I get 30+ mpg on the hi-way at speed-limit+ with the kayak/canoe on the roof. Most places I fish a pick-up would not get me any closer to the water and most places we can't just back up to the water. It's common to have to hump (portage) your paddle craft anywhere from 10 to 100 yards to the water.

That's an "elite" model fiberglass, vacuum bagged, have not weighed it but I'd guess it's right at 40 pounds, it also helps when your roof line is only chest high.

bluebill

Post by bluebill »

OK light craft is best for me also. I will (soon) trade one of my kayaks, the sit in 10 ft Pungo for a lighter kayak. I did not know that Native was making an ultralight. I know Hurricane has many models.

A Honda CRV is on my list but it will become my wife's car.

And it is time to trade the 04 Chev truck. Will look at trucks first including Toyota, Nissan and yes even Honda.

You do have foot propulsion in your 12" Native Ultimate?
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Only have arm propulsion... to shallow where I fish for any of the foot propelled craft. Mostly I fish B-Bay for Bonefish and spend a full day in less than 18" of water to the hard bottom which is covered with 6-12" of turtle grass.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Wow, sad to see this forum like this. It used to be so active, what will it take to revive it?
Rik?
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

People.... reading and posting..

I need to find a skeg for my Native 12, please help.

The skeg is missing and new parts are not available, at lease not unless I can find someone, or place, that has a new old stock skeg sitting on a shelf, in a box, hidden away in a garage perhaps an estate sale... or maybe a rental, outfitter, person with a used and abused neglected Native 12 that I could pick up as a parts boat.

Any leads will be followed up on and/or appretiated.

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Still looking for a skeg...

The kayak is now looking about as good as it can, have on order a new set of foot brace tracks and a set of the small foot brace's... found a set of seat covers but have not pulled the trigger on these yet.