PF is back...

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

PF is back...

Post by krash »

Well its a welcome site to see PF up and in a normal state again... lets get the traffic flowing.

Thanks to the admin for bringing cleaning up the mess, elimintaing the crawling scumbags that were spamming it.

I'll be walking a bank in the morning chasing Tarpon.... anyone else fishing or paddling ?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
bluebill

Re: PF is back...

Post by bluebill »

Krash and others

OK lets hope we can keep this growing again for south and southwest Florida at least

I moved from Pine island to nearby Northwest Cape Coral (3) months ago. I need to get back over to Pine Island because last year bank walking for baby tarpon was good in August.

I live fairly close to the Kismet Landing but I will respect that it is closed until I hear otherwise.

Want to get down your way for peacocks before cold weather arrives. Any news about peacocks??

I have a canal out back now and make a few casts daily for largemouth. Catching a few late evening on plastic worms. Just waiting for the day they start hitting top water. .Then will switch to fly rod with cork popper for fun.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I have not been fishing for P's lately, but them what do have been doing well from what I can see or have heard. In my specific area, C11 canal along Griffin/Orange drive it seems to me the Peacock population has dwindled, but the Snook and Tarpon have thrived. Not sure what the reasons are, except that I have been noticing this since several years ago when the flow was all but reversed. The flow used to be either Soutn and/or West, but a few years back the built a new set of gates out West near US27, another set near Nob Hill road, and seem to have stopped the Southern flow along Flamingo.
They then started diverting more water just S. of Sawgrass rec. park into the New River, and lots more water form Holiday park area off Us27 & Griffin to the East and that seems to be when the changes started.

If I go Peacock fishing, or other fresh water fishing, its usually from pure boredom and I do it from the nearby banks. It used to be in the C11 Snook were a by-catch when bass fishing, now you can go Snook fishing in teh same waters and actually catch several in a day with a bass as by-catch.
My water theory may be completely off and perhaps the Snook and Tarpon ate all the Bass, but the water clarity sure has changed to a darker stained brown color.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I also see post and hear rumors that Peacock are getting to be fairly common in the fresh water canals around teh western side of the Alley in Naples and Golden Gate areas.

bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Krash

Thanks for the peacock update.

I tried Golden Gate, Naples, at the big park two years ago just to see. And, I found peacocks just by walking the bank in the park just south of Golden Gate Blvd.

It should be even better but I want to find a launch site for kayak launch away from that park as there is a boat ramp and some fast boat traffic.

I wanted to get after some Miami peacocks this summer but so far did not make it over there. We used to have a place to stay overnight there but no longer. I would spring for a motel for a couple of nights but acquired a 14lb dog so now need a pet friendly motel in or near Kendall.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

If it was not for the dog... Cordel Baum the "BoneFishWhisperer" has a small fully functional efficiency style cottage, with fly tying vise, he rents out to clients and/or others even if not hiring him to fish... but his dog tippet is not compatible with other animals and most people.
Cordel does Peacock trips too, walking the local Miami area banks and/or in the Blue Lagoon.

If you are looking at a DIY trip there are many banks that can be walked, do some serious searching on GE for places where you can park and walk... without fear of being towed, but more and more places are being shut down with privacy issues every day.