Dolphins

Rik

Dolphins

Post by Rik »

On our super secret tarpon beach, we've suddenly started experiencing bait steal dolphin. While this is new for us, it is very common around some of the fishing piers in Tampa Bay. I talked with my neighbor Randy Wells,the Program Manager for the Sarasota Dolphin Research Program at Mote Marine, and he suggested that when they show up, we should reel in our baits until they pass by.

There's been an increase in this activity everywhere by the dolphins. It's a learned behavior and likely will only get worse. A big ol' pinfish on a hook makes for an easy morsel. If it's happening at our beach, it will soon be happening at all the beaches. So far there's only been stolen bait but that won't always be the case. Eventually a less experienced dolphin will end up with an 8/0 circle hook impaled in it's jaw.

When they show up they are usually just passing through. That would be a good time to reel your bait in and take a break for 5 minutes. That's best for the dolphin and certainly less time than it takes to completely re-rig after one gets hooked and breaks you off.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
H2Oz

Re: Dolphins

Post by H2Oz »

Rik,

You're 100% right, and I agree with you completely on everything you said. Seriously.

However, if you could pass along my one small, teeny-weeny quibble to the good folks at Mote Marine:

Porpoises, porpoises, PORPOISES!!! Please, dear God, people! They are NOT "dolphins". A dolphin is a FISH, and we USED to be able to CALL it a dolphin instead of some %$!#@* hippie PC unicorn-name like "mahi-mahi". Look around. You see any volcanic cones or pineapple fields around here? A beautiful, powerful, warrior-hearted gamefish like the dolphin does NOT deserve to be called a frigging "mahi-mahi", and I harbor a deep personal suspicion that people who do so are skipping around the house at night in a tutu singing Cyndi Lauper songs.

NOTE: This was NOT a rant. I always CLEARLY enclose ALL my rants within the appropriate HTML tags, as in the following:

<rant>

(deleted) H. Rubbernecking (deleted) on a (deleted) pogo stick, numbskull, did somebody suck your brains out with a (deleted) straw?? It's a JEWFISH! It's not a Goliath Grouper or a Tel Aviv Tilapia or an Abrahamic Amberjack or a Kosher Kingfish or any other PETA-Speak buzzword dreamed up by some beansprout-farting granola-gobbling pothead Left Coast lawyer, it's a (deleted-deleted-deleted) JEWFISH!!!

</rant>

See? Now, THAT was a rant.

Oh, God, I feel so much better now. ^o^
Rik

Post by Rik »

Your thoughts on the Chilean Sea Bass?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
H2Oz

Post by H2Oz »

Chilean Sea Bass? To quote Crocodile Dundee's skinny Abo friend, "Needs GAAAAH-lic!"

If you think about it, the actual PORPOISE word for "porpoise" is probably "kikikiKEEKEEKEEkikikikskrick" or something.

I am reminded of the old joke where a guy asks a kid what his dog's name is. "I don't actually know," the kid replies, "but WE call him Rex."

But seriously, guys, Rik's dead on the money as usual: if you see 'em comin', reel in and wait 'em out.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Back to dolphins, there is a difference between dolphins and porpoises (all while excluding the non-mammal dolphin fish we love putting on our dinner plates).

Both are saltwater mammals. However, porpoises are not commonly found in Florida waters. They prefer colder waters. So, what we are seeing are dolphins.

All that to say, reel in. Please.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Bottlenose Dolphin if you want to be exact.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

As I reported several weeks ago. I reeled in but Flipper started bumping the bow of m kayak and nosing around my bait bucket. Being a NY'er extortion is taught in Pre K so I paid him off as a part of doing business. Better to give a bottle nose some bait than have a busted windshield when you get back to your truck.
0 0 1
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

They been stealing fish from boats in Tampa bay for several years. About five years ago I watched one steal a 16-17" trout boatside at Buncess Pass Bridge. About twenty minutes later I had one (prolly the same) try to take one from me beside my kayak. That's a big critter to go boat-side to your kayak!
I moved to shallower water. :thumbright:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?