Pasco County

LHolman

Pasco County

Post by LHolman »

Ok, I have been here in Pasco County for about 5 years now and I can not figure out the fishing here. I do not know if I am using the wrong type of lures, bait or what? I what did when I lived in Gulfport/St.Petersburg area has not worked here. I have not seen a redfish since I have been here and I am starting to get fustrated. If there is anyone that lives here in Pasco County or fishes pasco county a lot that can help me out in what I need to be doing or tell me what I am doing wrong would be a great help. I love fishing out of my kayak, even more now since I made outriggers for it and I can stand up in it now, as I have in the 11 years that I have been fishing out of a kayak. So could someone please help me out on this?
Pip

Re: Pasco County

Post by Pip »

Ok, first off I don't live in Pasco County, but I do have some advice that I think works anywhere. I might get laughed at for what I'm about to say, but I don't see anyone else stepping up to give advice, so here goes...

Pick a spot, one spot and primarily fish that area. Just keep going back, and learn the area. Watch and talk with other anglers. Get some ideas read fishing reports...the usual stuff. One mistake people make is going to a different spot every outing and not really learning the area. Learn the tides, grass, potholes, and get confidence in that area. Cover lots of water. Don't stay in one place too long. Once you start catching fish and you eventually will you'll gain more confidence.

I try to stick with 3 to 4 lure "types". Topwater = Spook Jr bone ; subsurface hard bait = Mirrodine or Unfair Lures Rip n Slash ; and soft plastic White or Gold Bream Zoom Super Fluke or ZMan Paddle Tail (white) ; Lastly a 1/4 gold spoon. I like Redfish Magic from wally world. My saltwater tackle bag is not very big as compared to my bass bag. I've heard Rip n Slash work well up there in your area from the owner of B & C Power Yaks in Palm Harbor.

Keep plugging away in the area you choose and the fish will come. I spent my weekends last summer down in Shell Creek area of Punta Gorda and it paid off catching many snook bass and reds, but I had to put in the time and cover lots of water. The same principle should work for you too.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!

Phillip
Jackson Kayak Fishing Team
Orion Coolers
Bending Branches
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Great advice from Pip, pick a spot fish often and fish it at all stages of the tide.
One of the best pieces of advice I was ever given, was from the Merrill Chandler "The Canoeman" when I first came to live here in the Florida.
"You can't say you fished a spot until you have fished it at every stage of the tide, and you can't say you know until you fished in every season of the year"

I also agree on keeping simple on lure selection, fish lures you have complete confidence in

For me it, its a Mirrolure Top Pup, in any color as long it has a white belly and green back, DOA Cal Jig on a 1/8oz Mission jig, I like all gold when water and sky is clear, red/gold when water or sky has some color, and Avacado Red anytime, but especially if fishing dark bottom, creeks or mud flats

Johnson Silver minnow in Silver when there are puffers around

12 Fathom Buzztail on a weighted worm hook in same colors as the DOA, that's all I throw, and if they ain't eating that, they probably ain't in the mood to eat anything.

I will throw white shad tails when down in the Glades or on the beaches.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Edward

Post by Edward »

I lived in Pasco in the late 80's but fished from shore. My in-laws bought the 1st home built in the Sea Forest subdivision. All of the canals were built before the lots were sold. It was great, all to myself. In the winter there were lots of reds in there and some big trout. Unfortunately this is were I saw 1st hand the damage done pre-net ban. Netters were running nets clear across the primary channel running into the area and would snag everything going in and out with the tide. The fishing declined each year. I would think it's fine now and worth a look. There are some mangroves in there as the subdivision borders up to a refuge. I was just cruising the river a couple of weeks ago on a pontoon boat sipping drinks and I saw many snook under the dock lights just east of the US 19 bridge and upriver maybe a 1/4 mile. So they are there for sure. My only time in Pasco in my canoe was last year, launching off of green key or beach, can't remember the name. I covered the area between there and the river mouth. I didn't see any reds but the area looked like they should be there, I had a bad tide that day. I did catch my 1st ever cobia, a couple of macs and trout drifting a few hundred yards out front, all on a mirrordine. I'm not sure if I was much help.
oliverwatson

Post by oliverwatson »

Hey brother!! Have you ever tried " Anclote Gulf Park Fishing Pier " ??
Its indeed a great location for fishing around Pasco county........... Image