GPS Fishfinder

SPORTSFAN

GPS Fishfinder

Post by SPORTSFAN »

Hey all,
I am considering adding an GPS Fishfinder to my kayak. I am not well versed in them so here is what I'm thinking.
I fish the same areas most of you guys do around Sarasota and Bradenton. It's generally over the flats and sometimes off of Anna Maria where the water is deeper. Also to note I also go to Lake Manatee. Would you consider this as beneficial and if so what would you recommend. Under 500 or so is my budget. I do have a trolling motor on my yak and have the ability to cover quite a distance. Jules !
nowake

Re: GPS Fishfinder

Post by nowake »

I have one that is portable and found I rarely use it just more stuff to worry about.
stevehardt

Post by stevehardt »

I have a small hand held portable that I rarely use. However, if someone knows an fairly inexpensive one that could be mounted to my kayak I would be interested
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Take a look at the Navionics ap on your smart phone.
$2.00
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
SPORTSFAN

Post by SPORTSFAN »

Interesting thought, but I'm a dinosaur. I only have a flip phone.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Salt water, not so much. I use my sounders all the time in fresh water. Only way to know what cover and contours are below in deeper Lakes and Rivers.
I would definitely be sure and get 'color' as opposed to gray scale. Much easier to recognize structure and contours with color. I have GPS in both units but haven't used that feature much. I have Humminbird Piranha Max 196ci on my Ultimate 12 and Lowrance M68cs map on my Propel 10.
I have been saving up to get a Humminbird Onix which will allow me to bottom contour any lake or river I paddle on.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

I have both a stink pot and a kayak and I probably wouldn't put a GPS/fishfinder on the kayak. It's just on more thing to go wrong and the water I normally fish is < 6'.

Poon in a kayak to me is more visual than anything.

That said on my power boat I have this one. I like it with the exception that the screen is too small; for a kayak it might be perfect. I would love a 8" screen, but that's $$$. I think the unit is about $600 now (black Friday it was).

Get the side imaging - it's worth it.

Some poon images from last year in the Amanda Buff.

Off AMI - side imaging (yes each blip was a poon).

Off Egmont - up/down sonar

The obligatory fish on photo with daisy chaining poon on the sonar.

JB
SPORTSFAN

Post by SPORTSFAN »

Thanks, great options and foresight. I would think that side imaging is a given in a kayak at least for me as the water is often less than 2'.
My plan is to mount the unit close to where my foot pegs are then run the wires inside the boat hull to a traducer mounter also mounted in the hull. Should make for a clean installation.
nemo327

Post by nemo327 »

I use google earth to find a promising spot then use a hand held to get me there.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Fishfinder for bottom fishing (under the boat in deep water) is great, for flats fishing, not much use really.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve