Sarasota, Long Boat Key Guides ?

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Sarasota, Long Boat Key Guides ?

Post by krash »

OK, after a great trip last year to Long Boat Key for the first time, we're coming back again this year. Last year I simply walked the beach and caught Snook & Ladyfish every morning, next time I want to branch out. Coming over second week of September for a week.

Will be hiring a kayak & guide for one day and have 2 in mind, but if you have suggestion's I'm listening. Looking for someone who will launch at Sunrise somewhere near LongBoat Key resort, that catches fish.

Also:
Looking, (I know not paddling), for a power boat guide for half or three-quarter day for 2 fishermen.. not sure what the best bet is in that area for fishing inshore or offshore, I know last year every morning three or four guides would be fishing the beaches for Snook. I'm hoping for someone who fishes the Bay for the standard Slam species Snook, Reds, Trout... but if a quality guide says we're better off going offshore for whatever I'm game.

I'm an experienced fisherman for many years, so first I'm looking for an experienced guide local to Sarasota Bay area, or possibly offshore, that will provide a good honest day of fishing. Not a Fly fisherman, so its spinning gear for me, I personally use artificials inshore fresh or salt, but offshore I been known to use live, fresh, or cut baits.

Speak up... if ya gots friends or just know who the best guide is in the area let me have it, and I will certainly write my happiness report here after the fact.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Rik

Re: Sarasota, Long Boat Key Guides ?

Post by Rik »

Steve Gibson. Southern Drawl Kayak fishing

http://www.kayakfishingsarasota.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve knows Sarasota Bay!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Absolutely agree with Rik. Steve Gibson is the best kayak guide for the area you are interested in.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Since you are looking for 'power boat' guide I can suggest you contact Capt. Elliott Taylor at [email protected]. Fourth Generation Bradenton fisherman who covers nearshore and inshore from 'South Shore' to 'Sarasota'. Has an excellent Tarpon catch rate also.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Jason does both kayak and power boat. Super nice guy.

http://www.jmsnookykayakcharters.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Any further updates from locals in the Sarasota Bay area.. time to make my reservation...

If any of you guys in the area had a choice of hiring a guide for the day in that area... seems like I have a couple choices.. inshore or passes and offshore/outside.

Whats in that big azzz bay, and whats nearshore or in the passes ?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Rick Grasset

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

DaveR wrote:Rick Grasset
Yes! For your boat guide trip, Rick is a good choice. Has been guiding in Sarasota bay for over 20 years.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Ray Markham is top notch and fishes that area extensively.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
floridalawdog

Post by floridalawdog »

Hey Krash, I am by far not a guide, actually not even very good at fishing. But I do enjoy getting out on the water. I have 3 kayaks and a paddleboard, all are set up for fishing. If you don't mind fishing wish an amateur, and would be happy getting out on the water, shoot me a pm. If I can get a day off, i'd be glad to go with you.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Ok.. all decided and booked for wed. Sept 9th with Captain Rick Grassett, now we're hoping for perfect weathe that day....

Now what to do Thursday & Friday, beside walking the beach casting for Snook.

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Yes, its only a week away... due to issues had to cut my vaca. short a few days, was planning on driving up to Tampa Friday and stay at my sons place til Monday then hit Long Boat Resort til the next Saturday.. then back to Tampa to stay over at my sons and drive home Sunday or Monday.. (dog drop off and pickup). Now looks like we'll be driving up to Sarasota Monday morning then head home Saturday.. Brandon will meets us in Sarasota and do a meetup with dog pick up and delivery.

Will be fishing with Rick Grasset on Wednesday... and walking the beaches casting for Snook the other days.

Whats the Snook reports on the beaches over there ?

shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Head to Sharky's pier in Venice. Walk the beach South of the pier and fish the trough at your feet.
0 0 1
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

shamus wrote:Head to Sharky's pier in Venice. Walk the beach South of the pier and fish the trough at your feet.
Yes. You may not catch any fish, but you can get a beer on you way back. :cheers:
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Had a great time again on Longboat Key, even though not many fishes were caught.. no beach Snook, just Ladyfish and Jacks.

Explored a bit more of the area, found Anna maria Island and walked out on the pier for a great lunch at the little dive bar/food out there. Checked out and found a couple more nice resturants.

Fished Wednesday with Captian Rick Grassett, we did a 6 hour trip and he picked us up at Ken Johnson park which was 10 minutes from my hotel. Anyone looking for a good day of fishing Sarasota Bay he is a good choice. See below how he wrote it on his report, he runs a nice ActionCraft 17 that is pretty perfect for the bay, quality guy all around.

Capt. Rick Grassett’s Sarasota, FL Fishing Report for 9/11/2015

Anglers fishing with me on my Action Craft flats skiff the Snook Fin-Addict, out of CB's Saltwater Outfitters on Siesta Key, caught and released snook and trout and jumped a couple of tarpon on DOA TerrorEyz and top water plugs in Sarasota during the past week.

My son, Bryan Gibson and Mike Phoenix, both from St, Petersburg, FL, fished a predawn snook/flats trip in Sarasota Bay with me on Tuesday morning. They caught and released a couple of quality snook of 32” and 35” and jumped a couple of tarpon to more than 20-pounds on DOA TerrorEyz. They also caught and released a few trout on DOA Deadly Combos and top water plugs fishing deep grass flats on the west side of the bay.

Sandy “Krash” Wilson and Dana Liberman, both from Ft. Lauderdale, FL, fished Sarasota Bay with me on Wednesday morning. They caught and released trout to 18” on DOA Deadly Combos and top water plugs. The best trout action has been working around bait schools on edges of bars.

Snook fishing around lighted docks and bridges close to passes with flies, DOA Shrimp, DOA TerrorEyz and CAL jigs with shad tails and jerk worms should continue to be a good option. Tarpon are moving to inside waters of Sarasota Bay, where you may find them around lighted docks and bridges, in passes or in canals and creeks. You may find trout, Spanish mackerel, blues and jacks on deep grass flats, particularly close to passes. Look for reds, snook and big trout mixed with mullet schools on shallow flats and edges of bars.

John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I'd be pretty disappointed catching Trout on a charter, but sometimes its all you can get, he must have done a great job to leave you happy.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton