Sarasota, Long Boat Key Guides ?

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: Sarasota, Long Boat Key Guides ?

Post by krash »

John wrote:I'd be pretty disappointed catching Trout on a charter, but sometimes its all you can get, he must have done a great job to leave you happy.
I kind of feel the same way.. here I stay away from Trout hate the slimy buck tooth'd bturds. I can't really blame the guide he worked his azz off, we saw and cast and had dozens of shots at Tarpon early but they just were not eating anything except minnow 1" sized stuff, tried several different arti's there.. then we hit several other spots, saw lots of mulltet being worked over, besides rays and slimer-cats.. we did see an have a couple shots at a small Cobia that I managed to spook off the buoy.. the guy did try, appeared to know what he was doing, and is pretty highly recommended in the area. I guess if i was doing it myself I'd blame the sun, the moon, huge tides, wrong tides, maybe even my buddy. Guiding is a tuff business and nothing is guaranteed. We did catch several species, Mangrove Snapper, Cats, Trout, Ladyfish, and I caught a small pipe-fish.
Rick worked hard, at least unlike my last guide experience we did not just run power-pole down and throw cut pinfish at the mangroves and wait, then say there was a tournament yesterday they must have caught all the fish. You can only go so far and do so much in 6 hours, I do it all the time paddlefishing here and many days do not even make a cast.

This is the 2nd year we hired a guide while on vacation and 2nd time we basically caught Trout. You hear about slams and schooling fish, off the hook bites yesterday and last week.. but you book a date several months in advance and you have to take what you get.

If I though my buddy could sit in and paddle a kayak, I'd certainly go a different direction.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~