SUP's (StandUpPaddleboards)

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

SUP's (StandUpPaddleboards)

Post by krash »

Ok its be like a year since I've seen this subject posted.... lets run it through again.

What are your thoughts ?

I still think about its as a alternative and/or supplement often, like everytime I wish my canoe was easier to stand and sight-fish from when the need arises. I still have medical/physical issues with lifting/hauling weight and have a canoe that fits the bill weighing in at only 38 pounds. Many SUP's get close to that weight but very few kayaks that you can stand on do.

Has anyone here who has tried both kayak/canoe and SUP ?
I personally know people who have both, and people who have either, but no-one who has switched from kayak/canoe fulltime to SUP as a fishing platform.

If you are using an SUP what model/brand are you on and do you pole or paddle only ?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
bluebill

Re: SUP's (StandUpPaddleboards)

Post by bluebill »

If you fish from a paddleboard, where do you keep all of the fishing gear and cooler full of cool drinks and lunch?

Sounds like this variation may be for strong young dudes.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

DaveR has fished for the past couple years from a Native Versaboard although he has a seat on it. I have fished for tarpon with a couple guys on SUP's. Basically they have a cooler strapped onto the board for storage and a seat when they need it. I also thing the one of the points of an SUP would be less clutter. Take only what you need with you.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Well I'll be darned.

I wish I had tried an SUP when I was younger and before my balance went iffy.

Do they make them with snowboard type strap in shoes?
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

One of the reasons I like canoe/kayak fishing is the minimalist approach.. I don't take much even though its usually more than I need when paddle fishing.. I always laugh at the people on the water or loading/unloading at the launch who have the kitchen seat approach.

Where I fish 90% of the time the water is less than 3 feet deep and its pretty much sightfishing for Bonefish where all you need is 1 rod with a doa shrimp/crab and maybe a spare.

The SUP's I like can all easily be rigged or purchased with a small cooler, doubles as a seat, and a rod holder or two. I'm also looking as a supplement to my canoe not a full replacement.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

As the world continues to turn... I have been using a borrowed DragonFly for about 2 months now and really like it.. BUT

It seems more and more people are going to paddleboards as the fishing platform or as an alternative additional craft.

Have any more people here tried them, if so which boards, and what are your thoughts ?

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I can't review other boards yet, but sure wish I could test drive a few. For perspective I have been paddling a 14'4" Wenonah Vagabond, Flex-core Kevlar that truly weighs 38 pounds.

I have been paddling the DragonFly and it sure is a nice platform. I've been paddling the 13.6, they now have a new 12' called the Techie which is supposedly 5 pounds lighter, has a hatch up front, and option for a round live well in the rear.

The 13.6 DragonFly is spec'd to weigh 44 pounds, but it sure feels heavier (have not weighed it), I'd guess closer to 50..
It paddles pretty well, but not nearly as nice as my old ScupperPro kayak or the Vagabond canoe.
It poles like a dream, I'm currently using a 12' pole but would upgrade to 14'.
It is considerably more stable than the Vagabond, very easy to stand on and move around.. it is a little tricky the first few times when you are hit by a wake from a glancing blow, until you get used to the board you tend to lock you ankles and knees.
There is less room to put stuff than the canoe, I have the cooler used as a dry box and put all my stuff inside except the paddle and pole. The cooler currently has 2 Scotty rod holders on the rear and a paddle clip on the right side. The paddle slips out of the clip to easily so I have a bit of line with a loop for the paddle and also another for my push pole. In the cooler I put 2 plastic (Plano style) tackle boxes, gallon water jug, lunch/snack, and my otter box with wallet/phone/car keys.
The cooler/dry box is held down by a single thumb screw inside in the center of the box to an attachment threaded thingy in the hull. This method does hold it in place but is a real PITA to attach especially in the pre-dawn hour, you have to remove everything from the box, find the threaded hole, center the box on top, get the thumbscrew threaded, tighten it down, then reload the cooler.
Having that cooler/dry-box makes for a great seat for taking a rest, tying new leaders and knots, or just enjoying a drift.

Overall I like it but would like to try/test out the Cayo, L2Fish, Bote Ahab/Rackham/HD, and a couple other fishing specific designs.

You can also simply outfit, like a kayak, pretty much any sup for fishing... so bring it on what do you have and what can you compare it, real world, with.

bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

I've got a Bote HD with an Engel cooler/drybox. The Engel works well as a seat and tackle storage and has rod holders on the side. At 6'6" and 250 lbs the board is plenty stable and fast, but it's definitely more work than fishing from a kayak. Boat control is tough in windy conditions and the fin is 10-12" tall so you can't go as skinny as in a kayak. There may be other options for the fins/skegs but I haven't looked into it.

The HD is an all-around type of board while I believe the Ahab/Rackham models are more designed for fishing. Without looking up the specs I'll bet the Ahab/Rackham are closer to 50 lbs than the 30 lbs of the HD.

Also, you may already have this sorted out but make sure you have a quick way to swap between paddling and casting and make sure you have an anchor/pin method worked out. I've missed a lot of opportunities at fish because I was trying to put my paddle down and pick up the rod, or trying to stop the board. I much prefer fishing from the kayak and have only spent about 12 hours fishing from the Bote so take my two cents with a grain of salt.
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 The Red Rocket
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Sage
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

The Bote's are nice looking boards, by the specs the Rackham 12' is listed at 41# and the Ahab 14' is listed at 45# so the weight is similar to the Dragonfly 13.6, and the hull design/shape sure looks nice.

As far as Fins go the DragonFly has an optional, ($200.00 optional), shallow water fin which allows me to get in some skinny water but not quite as skinny as the canoe.. The canoe floats in a couple inches, 4 inches with no drag-n bottom and still able to paddle, the DragonFly fin bumps in about 4".

There is a company called "BoneFishHippies" that makes shallow water fins that can be used on pretty much any SUP that has the standard FCS fin box. They are SUP fishermen, see a need an build products to solve problems.

I really like the ability to easily stand, where I fish it's very shallow crystal clear water and the Bonefish see you long before you see them so you have an advantage the taller you can get.

bluebill

Post by bluebill »

OK, have fun on your paddle boards you younger dudes.

I am thin enough but balance is a far cry from the old days.

So, I will stick to a SOT kayak.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

bluebill wrote:OK, have fun on your paddle boards you younger dudes.

I am thin enough but balance is a far cry from the old days.

So, I will stick to a SOT kayak.
Young,, I'm 65 and have a failing heart... now if I could find a SOT kayak, reasonably priced, that weighed less than 50 pounds (would like 40 pounds) and you could easily stand that would be my choice. The canoe is close but spinning around to fire off a cast while quietly putting the pole or paddle down is nearly impossible.

bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

krash wrote:Young,, I'm 65 and have a failing heart... now if I could find a SOT kayak, reasonably priced, that weighed less than 50 pounds (would like 40 pounds) and you could easily stand that would be my choice. The canoe is close but spinning around to fire off a cast while quietly putting the pole or paddle down is nearly impossible.
Seems obvious, but that sounds like the Ultimate?
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 The Red Rocket
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Sage
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

bicoastal wrote:
krash wrote:Young,, I'm 65 and have a failing heart... now if I could find a SOT kayak, reasonably priced, that weighed less than 50 pounds (would like 40 pounds) and you could easily stand that would be my choice. The canoe is close but spinning around to fire off a cast while quietly putting the pole or paddle down is nearly impossible.
Seems obvious, but that sounds like the Ultimate?
The Native Ultimate 12 the old original basic model, or Tegris and/or Elite), with no bells and whistles, well used is on my cl/forum shopping list.

SushiStalker

Post by SushiStalker »

I tried paddle boarding 1 time, and I compare it to yoga.
It's tougher than it looks and it will get you in shape.

A SOT under 50lbs is tough, I find they just get smaller and shorter, and you lose all the benefits of a longer kayak, tracking speed, capacity etc.

Have you ever checked out NU Canoe?http://www.nucanoe.com/fishing/
hybrid style boat, spec. have them pretty heavy way over 50lbs

Been drooled over them and the Ultimate for a couple years.
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Ok, Krash, you are still relatively young.

I would love to stand up in a kayak but gave up some time ago because the kayaks that allow that (for me) are heavy and broad of beam like the ones made by Malibu and others.

My solution here on the flats and oyster bars around Pine Island is to anchor up then get out and wade around the larger sand bars. I usually use my Malibu Mini X, about 10" long and wide. It has a tough bottom with many oyster scrapes and gouges.

I visited Oregon this summer in the later part of July and fished from shore on the Willamette River at Sauvie Island, just downstream from Portland. I was amazed at the number of men and women on paddle boards. It had been a warm dry spring, not much snow melt, so the water was warm enough for swimming. So, some of these folks swam their boards out to the main channel then climbed aboard. Never saw one used for fishing in the Willamette.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

SushiStalker wrote: Have you ever checked out NU Canoe?http://www.nucanoe.com/fishing/
hybrid style boat, spec. have them pretty heavy way over 50lbs
Yes I have a buddy who has a newer Frontier with the high swivel seat, he previously had the older model, hes also got a trolling motor for the new one. NuCanoe does not make anything that is light, but they are stable as a dock.. paddling one is also very similar to paddling a floating dock. Same guy has Freedom Hawks both a 12' and a 14' I've also used both of these, both easily standable, bothe to heavy, the 14' paddles fairly well the 12' not so much.

Where I fish I seldom get out and wade, although I do sometimes but bot chasing Bones.. Bottom is hard enough and shallow enough, but just can't cover enough ground. If wading was a good option I'd stick with my 14' solo canoe that weighs 38 pounds.